Thread: Naming Your Sabers- Help and Advice.

Jedi_Knight_Zekk

Default Naming Your Sabers- Help and Advice.

Oh the silly dilemmas that we saber builders will run into... So I decided on a name for my first saber. I chose the Icelandic word for Protector, Verndari. Only to find out today that Rhyen Skytracker has now used that in a saber. I kinda died a
    little bit when I saw it. Well, I ask now for your help and advice to name my saber AND we can help each other out with
    naming our sabers, not just me. So what do we think?

I wouldn't worry too much about duplicate names. I've seen tons of books and movies with the same problem, and they seem to get on just fine. Besides, given the fact that our language only uses so many words, and that those words are invariably purpose-built for use in certain ways, the number of names which will fall into the right parameters for saber building is pretty limited; duplicates are inevitable.

The only name I've ever created, for any of my fictional weapons, that I have not seen used was Terravindictus. It's not a saber, but it counts. I ran search after search, but nobody seems to have picked that one up yet. I couldn't find any dictionary entries for it either. Unfortunately, that's pretty much what you're going to need: A made-up word. It means "Earth's Vengeance", or "Vindicated by Gaia", and was used on a mastercraft runic sword in one of my roleplaying games. Literally every other name I've ever chosen has popped up SOMEwhere.

I'll give you an example: My tabletop adventure game uses three tiers of character classes; basic, advanced and elite. Without going into too much detail, the elite classes represent your character's ultimate achievement, thus you can only ever choose one. One of these classes -the Blade Dancer- is meant to represent a character who has incorporated martial arts into expressive dance. They're pretty much human blenders who never stop moving. They're incredibly difficult to pin down, and usually end up killing archers with their own arrows. Sounds pretty unique, right? There's a free-to-play MMORPG that already did something very similar. I died a little, too, when I saw that, but came to the conclusion that, as long as it isn't a direct copy, I'm using the name anyway.

So...mini novel condensed into short reply: Don't worry about it. If you end up using a name that's "taken", I'm sure they'll understand. Unless yours looks identical to theirs, it shouldn't be taken as copycatting. I'd like to believe that sabersmiths are a little more secure and mature than that.

Jedi_Knight_Zekk

Well, I hope so... Especially since I've talked to Rhyen before too, and I think he's a cool guy. So I hope he's cool enough to not care hahaha... But anywho, this is now hopefully going to be a good help thread for those who are having trouble naming their sabers!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I will echo the same advice. I have built over 400 sabers. I have named over 200 of them. Occasionally i run across someone who has already used a name after or before me. We all just realize that it happens. Only thing I would stay away from are "signature" or Series names if you can, but even then it probably isn't a huge deal. If you happen top know that Rhyen already used the name, just PM him and my guess is he will say to just go ahead and use it
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Jedi_Knight_Zekk

Thanks LDM, it means a lot that a highly decorated member such as yourself would reply to one of my threads.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight_Zekk View Post
    Thanks LDM, it means a lot that a highly decorated member such as yourself would reply to one of my threads.
    No problem Brotha. I am just one of the guys and hope to help out where I can.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Much like most everything that I name, I've been using Japanese words for naming my sabers. At some point, it just comes down to the language you take to, I guess.

As well as what LDM said.

Personally, I name them after the inspiration behind them. My Mara Jade saber will be called the Jade Hand. My Aayla Secura TCW saber will be called the Bare Blue (don't judge me). My TCW Anakin will be called the Fallen Hero. My personal saber will be named after my screen name, Volund's Forge (also known as Wayland or Volundr for those of you more Nordically inclined).

By using two words in a name, it makes things a little unique.