Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: (NEED HELP PLEASE) Custom LED lightsaber

Unhappy (NEED HELP PLEASE) Custom LED lightsaber

Firstly i appologise in advance if there is another thread with the information i seek on it. I have looked around quite a bit and read a few of the tutorials but i still remain somewhat confused. Please dont bite my head off,i realise how annoying NOOB's can be, but im new to all this.

I am looking to modify my MR Luke Skywalker ANH.

I have a LIMITED knowledge with electronics but as far as im concerned i am a total NOOB compared to the latter of you obviously well experienced lot.

Ok onto the actual point of the thread!

I am looking to purchase the following items in order to create the desired electronics system for my saber.

#1: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Bu...-Kit-P136.aspx

* Blue LED
    * 5 degree lens
    * Buckpuck 700mA resistor
    * Mom switch with black button

#2: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Lu...r-V2-P230.aspx

* Momentary curcuit style

I was also looking to use my existing MR soundcard and speaker because i like its sounds and dont really want to spend alot of money getting another speaker/soundcard.

Basically i want my saber to have the special features the LUXON driver gives me (see below) but i also want to retain the MR motion dectecting sounds, also i need to know how to do all this seeing as how my skills are somewhat lacking to the point of nonexistance

* Ramp up/down, static shimmer, optional flash on impact and lockup
    * Maximum input voltage has been increased to 30V from the previous 12V
    * Maximum output voltage has been increased to 25V. Rebel compatible.
    * Uses less than 0.2mA when sleeping (turned off, with power to driver)
    * Size is reduced by 35%, 0.80 x 1.1 from previous 1.25 x 1.625
    * Pulsed Width Modulation averages 1A output with 1.2A when “clashing”
    * On board micro on/off switch with contacts for remote switch
    * Available in momentary or latching switch configurations

My biggest issue is not knowing how much power i need to operate my system, or if i require something to regulate power to a certain part while sending more power somewhere else to avoid failure, short curcuit, or breakage. (sorry im really new at this not sure if im wording it correctly)

What i really need to know is if anything i just mentioned cant be done and if not is there is a way to fix it.

Terribly sorry for any inconvenience if i posted in the wrong section or there is another thread about this.

Thanks in advance for anyone kind enough to help my NOOBNESS.
    REQUIEM

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Hello FallenJedi. The fact that you're a "noob" does not excuse the fact that you have not learned anything from "looking around quite a bit". We're not going to spoon-feed you information that you would not and cannot understand. You have to learn basics first.

Knowing what you want is fine and dandy, but if you want to do it yourself, there's a lot that you need to learn first. For example:
    - Do you know the difference between a latching and momentary?
    - How much voltage can an MR board handle?
    - How much voltage is required for a Lux V?
    - Do you know how much extra space is in a Luke ANH?

These are all very basic things that most people here know... and they're all very relevant to what you want. You need to learn - not just look around.

Start here:
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

And if you don't see how it applies to what you want, then come back and we'll start again.

Good luck!

I actually have looked around alot, spent all day searching for what i need, ive come close such as the tutorial that you linked to, but its not what i need.

That only shows how to make a really basic saber with just the LED, battery pack, and resistor which is far from what i want.

I want to link together the LUXON V LED, LUXON 3 v2 Driver board, MR sound board, and a batterry pack in the one saber.

As for the basics that everyone knows that i apparantly dont here what i have to say

- Latching switches are pressed down and stay in position untill you click them again and they come up and off, and momentary switches require to be held down to active deactive depending on wether they are normally closed or normally open.

- MR sound boards apparantly can only handle around 5V any more then that it has a tendency to fail or degrade early.

- Sorry i dont know what voltage a LUXON V needs

- And there appears that there is not alot of space in the Luke ANH saber.

Any further help would be greatly appriciated.
    REQUIEM

Since I built my first saber recently, I will speak to you as a fellow noob.

Start simple. Make a basic sink tube saber with a resistor or a buck puck. There is a resistor chart with all the info you need if you decide to go with a resistor. If you go with a buck puck, just pay attention to the needed mA (Amps) for your LED. Google is your friend when looking for specs on LEDs. I used a buck puck myself.

Then add sound. Try a hasbro set up. I know the sound sucks but it will give you much needed practice. You wouldn't won't to ruin an expensive sound board.

Then go for the more advanced.

As far as your request goes.

Find out the required voltage for the Lux V. After that I think you will find the answer to at least one of your questions.

As far as the shimmering and clash effects. Find out if the MR can do them. If not, find out what can. Then do a reality check. Check space and power requirements.

As a general rule of thumb find out what things can do first. Then decide what you want in your lightsaber in light of that information.

Thanks for trying to help its appriciated, but i really am looking to make what i previously mentioned, i do not want some simple "tube saber" with mere lighting as a single feature.

What i want is my MR luke skywalker ANH force fx to be converteed from the led strip to a single LUXEON V LED making it as bright as possible with the aformentioned driver with effects that MR saber doesnt have such as blade shimmer or clashing light. I also want to retain the sound board and motion detectors. I realise this is alot harder to do which is why im asking for help.

Ive looked around for hours on end trying to find some information like a specific tutorial on exactly what i want but ive found nothing of the sort, it would be FAR simpler if someone just gave me a basic step by step walkthrough on what i need and where it needs to go. (i realise entirely that this is asking alot and many of you feel that i should work for it and not be "spoon fed" but i dont have alot of time as i have become rather busy of late and im moving house)

All i ask is that someone in the know could PLEASE tell me exactly what i need to buy from here (i have a rough idea in the first post), and what to do with it (what wires go where). I am capable (can solder, drill, hotglue, insulate, etc..) and im good at following instructions.

Again thankyou in advance for any assistance any and all help is appriciated.
    REQUIEM

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Look up the voltage and you'll realize you can't have a V and the MR board. You'll need a voltage regulator to either handle it or go with a lower voltage LED. Frankly there is no reason to use a V in my mind anymore.

There is a wiring forum... look in it. There are driver diagrams that apply to exactly what you want provided you forget the V.

Our time is just as valuable. So if it's worth it to you, you'll find it. It's not hidden here, you're just not looking in the right places and hard enough.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Well there are several threads on the How To's of MR conversion. I would start there. That will help you on wiring and such.

As far as your lux V is concerned. If you google "luxeon star" you'll come up with www.philipslumileds.com, the people who made them. There you can find all data sheets and specs you need. Look for the forward volatge. If its anything more than the 5V that an MR can handle then you won't be able to use it without frying the board. You might also want to think about how many batteries you would need and the space available in an MR hilt.

I can tell you now that you probably won't get a personalized tutorial with the exact setup you want. The attitude arround here is, "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for life." You'll find the basics in the threads, but you'll have to come up with the specifics yourself.

I've been looking for something similar to what you want and I found this.

http://www.plecterlabs.com/catalog/a...articles_id=24

Maybe we can work together on this since we're both first timers.

Also, quick question about the above link, I want to put in an accent LED that flickers with the Lux III. After looking at the driver manual, it seems that there are only leads for the Lux LED and no option for additional outputs. So does that mean that I won't be able to have this additional flickering LED and will just have to run one that doesn't flicker with the blade?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
    I've been looking for something similar to what you want and I found this.

http://www.plecterlabs.com/catalog/a...articles_id=24

Maybe we can work together on this since we're both first timers.
    Perfect example of a noob who finds what he needs. I had to go through the same thing. I am taking the baby step route. Buck puck to Hasbro to more advanced (maybe ultrasound).

I can think of things you can build to make it work, but it would require knowledge in electronics and more space than you have in that hilt.

Its probably the reason why most people just upgrade their MR FXs with Lux IIIs instead of Vs.