Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1400mA driver

These sound like they will be a great addition to the store, and should be better than the resistor set-ups for direct driving the leds.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur
    Ok they are on order
    Awesome! Thanks alot Tim! I hope these work out for us.
    This Jedi Ranger has a name....Terek Kelrune. Don't forget it.

Agreed on all of the above.

And yes, for those new people reading--drivers are MUCH better than just going resistor only. Simply because of the nature of LEDs...

Current hungry....?? YES. *CHOMP*
    Voltage hungry....?? NO. Not so much.

Also, a driver saves the newbie's arse since it's awfully tough to "over voltage" an LED if you're using a driver. Duh.

But it's terribly easy to do if you're running resistor only. Give a Red-Orange LED 6v and mess up the resistor, and it's done.

Finally, it allows for you to alter your battery pack in many many ways--without having to re-think your driver or resistor or LED, etc. etc.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar
    Finally, it allows for you to alter your battery pack in many many ways--without having to re-think your driver or resistor or LED, etc. etc.
    It's the battery (voltage) options that I really like about using drivers instead of resistors.
    This Jedi Ranger has a name....Terek Kelrune. Don't forget it.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

These dont have many options for voltage.. 2.4-6v or something like that
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Darn... 6v is just below what I like which is (go figure) about 7.2 to 8.4v since I am a huge Li-Ion nerd.

heheh. Still... I'd pick at LEAST one up to convert any one of my resistor-only sabers on 3.6/3.7v Li-Ion.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Still useful. 3.7, 4.5, 4.8, 6, etc...
    RED LEADER Standing by!

factory said 4.5v max, but I know people who have overdriven it. YMMV and whatnot.

Ah well. My favorite battery is still the 18650. There's a reason I bought a case of them (144 batteries... all going to good homes... and I may still need more...)

144?

What in the world for?

Volume discount. I paid about half of what I should if I'd ordered them onsies and twosies. They're Chinese (I met a few friends while in China, and some of them do a few transactions for me every now and then) but the chemistry, amperage and charge cycle rating are all just as good as anything I could get over here.

As for what they're for, I have a side business building high-end design lighting (mostly LED and CFL based) - which is how I got into saber smithing - and I use the 18650's as the main cell in the flood and spots that go outside a house, which are charged off a self-contained solar cell -similar to this, but with Lux's or Cree's, and I resin-cast a shell to hide the light so it looks like a rock or flower pot or whatever. I also use them in lights for camping and of course, sabers.

144 won't last me a month, even with my 10-day vacation coming up.

Oh, before I forget, I might have a few extra 350 mAh drivers left over, if someone wants one. PM me. Not much good for sabers, unless you use a Cree or Seoul white emitter, which could get you as high as 100 lumens or so.