Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: optimal hilt length

Default optimal hilt length

Is there a "best" hilt length that people prefer? Does it depend on if you plan to install sound?

Well for some hilt length dosent matter cause they have components they want to stuff in there hilt.

A driver/sound board will fit on top of the rechargable battery packs in the a ribbed mhs section. now length depends on how well you stack or organize inside the hilt.

I have fit an mr board and a 4AAA battery pack in a ribbed and 3" section, it was really tight fit but its slightly shorter than the 7" sections but it will all fit in a 7" section nicely.

Iam not sure about if a 5W direct drive setup(resistor or buck puck) will all fit in a 7" section. havent done a 5W myself yet.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Playing with the MHS, I put together the ribbed extension along with the standard 7" hilt. Sounds like that would be enough room to allow everything to fit inside. With the emitter and pommel the whole thing would be a little over a foot long (about 13" I think). Another poster thought that that would not be too long to be practical.

I practiced Kendo for a bit and the swords we used had long hilts when I remember back.

i use a number 39 shinai for kendo thats a 13" handle with a 34" blade 47" total length.
    If it ain't burning I didn't do it!
    Card carrying member of the FSM!

That sounds about right for my old shinai as well. sadly I gave up kendo because of time constraints and constantly getting whacked on the head.
    It was fun tho!

LOL! yep ever since kendo cant remember my piano lessons!
    If it ain't burning I didn't do it!
    Card carrying member of the FSM!

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

heck mines 14 inches. I have the obi blade holder, 2 ribbed ext, 3 inch f/f ext, blade holder 4, has a nice echo to it with that holder at the end.

BLUE 3- Ready

Thanks everyone. Going a little longer vs shorter seems to make sense since this is my first try. Having the extra room for components would make life easier as opposed to trying to cram things in a small space. Its a little frustrating that the MHS doesn't include all the parts that are available in the store such as the female-female pieces or hilt styles beyond #1.

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

I thought someone said at one time if they aren't on the mhs builder they were out of stock. i could be wrong

BLUE 3- Ready

Council Member
    Sith Lord

tim just hasn't been able to take pics vortex

and ryma, a 5 watter with no sound will fit easily in the 7 inch section. tim's 7.2V pack is only 4 inches long, so you'll have 2-3 inches to play with for the resistor
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!