Thread: Dental Blue

Default Dental Blue

I was peering around lumileds website and noticed some astounding number on the dental blue Lux V, has anyone else noticed or better yet tried one in a saber
    they are giving a wavelength in the royalblue-blue range(450-470), run on about the same current as a blue lux V, and they flaunt a whopping 600 typical lumens
    FSM What's on your belt?

Actually, if you read the datasheet for the dental blue, the luminous flux is in mW not lumens. It is confusing becasue they show both on the website but read the datasheet and you will see. You can get better output from a Lux V royal blue (700 mW at 700 mA) and it will be cheaper too. 55 bucks is a bit pricey for an LED.

i figured the $50 price tag was the justification of the 600 lumens, i looked throught the datasheet and never did see a lumen @ mA rating, so i was making the estimation off the websites info, Good to get more experienced input on the matter
    FSM What's on your belt?

If you read datasheet DS35 for the dental blue, you need to look at the table labeled Radiometric Power Characteristics at 700mA and you will see a typical radiometric value of 600 mW. I have only seen the dental blue and royal blue given this way (not coincidentally they are almost identical wavelengths). Not sure why they give it this way, but it could be from the end use of the product and lumens has no real value in curing epoxy.

I hear that the dentel blue led is set constantly at a specific wavelength regardless of other influences.