Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jay-gon's Brass/MHS Saber (MR sound/Lux III)

Here's what the blade holder looks like now:

I totally swiss-cheesed it! Good thing the shroud covers them up!

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Yeah its looking pritty bad man but you do have a shroud.
    I would say make a plate thats the same as your shroud but smaller.

Or cut a square out or a notch with the bottem of it rounded.

But iam sure that would take some mill work.

But Iam pritty sure you will come up with something, you are pritty resoursefull.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Yeah, Hasid, I did come up with something, but it didn't quite work out. I drilled 3/8" hole with the intention of making a 3/4" slot out of it after drilling a second hole and "milling" it out with my rotary tool, but the first hole didn't work out. Instead of drilling a nice pretty hole, it magled and bent the shroud in between the to smaller holes. So I popped in my 1/2" bit and drilled one big hole:

This isn't my final answer to this little problem, because now you can see one of the swiss chees holes peeking out from under the shroud inside the bigger hole!
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 10-30-2008 at 06:15 PM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I did a bit more work today on this. I added some brass washers to the screws to help hide some mistakes I made when drilling the mounting holes. I "dished" them with my dremel, so they'd have a better fit. Here where it's at so far:

I also added a small momentary button I picked up at Radio Shack a while ago. Here's a couple close ups of the washers and csrews:

About all that's left now is to install the electronics and craft a cover for the big hole in the emitter shroud. I need a soundboard now, too....

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

Very nice man. I love those washer you put on there, where did ya get em?

BLUE 3- Ready

I got the washers at my local Do-it Center Hardware store. They were either $.15 or $.13, I can't remember. But cheap enough, that's for sure! I also looked in the plumbing section and found 4 6" 1.5" brass extensions that were threaded on one end, and not chromed. They weren't polished either, but that would be much easier to do without having to sand off the chrome first.

Jay, beware of that momentary switch, we had a few on the original BOP I sabers, and they broke almost before we used them, hahhaha!

Then again--our sabers were going through some massive abuse, and I haven't the foggiest idea if you're going to use the saber like a madman...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Yeah, the momentary will come off when I get the maul board from Jonitus. I just put it on to fill the hole for the pictures!
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 10-30-2008 at 06:16 PM.

Looking very good man.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Well, I got a soundboard from Lord tyranus over at F/X Sabers.com, and got it ready to go in this saber:

It came out of a Luke ROTJ, and was a perfect fit in this saber! I had plenty of room for the board in the grip section, and the switch and batteries are in the brass section. Speaking of the switch, I picked this up at my local Do-It Hardware store:

It's all metal, and has a pretty good feel to it. I tested this saber with my blue led, but I asembled it with my green one....and wouldn't you know it, the emitter didn't quite line up with the rest of the saber....must be the heatsinks are somewhat different thicknesses. Luckily, I had a bunch of holes to choose from and put the shroud on it again:

The blade is a 3/4" thin-wall with Ultra's film. I took these about 11:00 a.m. under the awning at my trailer at the campgrounds we're staying at. It looks good inside the trailer, too. Should be great at the Whitecaps game on Saturday!