Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jay-gon's Brass/MHS Saber (MR sound/Lux III)

I still need to drill the shroud and the emitter for mounting screws, and the blade thumbscrew, but here's a good view of how it should look:

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I could swear I've been up the plumbing aisle dozens of times, but mine doesn't have anything nearly that cool. The last I tried sanding a chrome tube to brass I gave up... no patience for what was shaping up to be a weeks worth of sanding to get to the shine I wanted.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

How funny Jay... that sink tube pipe and the little filter tray is *exactly* the kind of thing I've used for speaker ports and pommels for the Flange sabers.

Great work. This is exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping to do, only I don't have a dremel or anything super fancy! Glad you do though!!!!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

where can one find longer brass sink tubes? I have looked at menards, lowes, homedepot. the longest I found was 6". And sanding down a chrome one, I'm with X on that one.

BLUE 3- Ready

I wish I knew where to get longer brass tubes, too. I got these little sink drain tailpieces at Menard's. I should've bought more than two, though, since they were on sale at the time for $3.50. I messed up while drilling the shroud for the mounting screws, and would like to make another. Pics of that coming shortly.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Now that I think about it, I do recall seeing a polished brass 1.25 kit that had a p-trap and everything in it that about $15, too. I think it had a longer tube in that. Next time I'm there, I'll look and see if they have the same kit in 1.5".

I also put a scoring line on the shroud, and tried turning the pipe towards me, instead of away from me like last time, and it lined right up! A perfectly straight line all the way around!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

http://www.farm-home.com/ldr/JB15901309.htm

They make them apparently... hmmm, I'll still keep looking to find the flanged types we use.

EDIT: They list tailpieces too but it only shows and adds 6" lengths.

ANother! http://www.farm-home.com/ldr/JB15901242.htm more usable stuff out of that, but it's expensive.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FKF3CK/...ectronicssh-20

Other than the black and white picture that seems to be a 12" one. They seem to make a distinction on brass and chrome plated brass though.

EDIT: Oh this is ticking me off. The product description says chromed... but the company makes the distinction and it matches the number...
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Those would be great if they came in polished brass!

In the meantime, I did some drilling on the drill press:

I put the first of what turned out to be many holes in the blade holder. This went all the way through to put a hole directly opposite:

It of course didn't line up with the screws in the hilt tube, so I put some more holes in it and the brass shroud at the same time:

In the above pic, I assembled the hilt to try and make the thumbscrew hole line up with the switch. I drilled twice, and still didn't get it right. I wanted to get the hole as close to the edge of the thickest part of the blade holder as I could, and missed it by about 1/4 of an inch.

In case you're wondering, I do have the heatsink installed in all those pics of me drilling holes. I'm still not sure why they didn't line up when I was originally done with it....but it's fixed now:

The scribed line came out perfect this time. I just need to figure out what to do about this:

I've got two holes for the thumbscrew in the brass shroud, and neither of them are in line with the switch on the hilt. I have thought about making a plate out of a piece of chromed tubing to cover those up with and then drill my thumbscrew hole through that also.