Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: EL saber with sound board

Exclamation Updated link needed

Quote Originally Posted by felix142 View Post
    Does anyone have this information, or an updated link for the thread?

I've tried looking for the thread, but I think it's well lost.

I'm interested in adding sound to an old Parks EL... and was wondering how others have done this in the past.

-Blair

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

There isn't enough room inside a Parks saber for any kind of sound card. Where would you put it?
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    There isn't enough room inside a Parks saber for any kind of sound card. Where would you put it?

Really? I've never seen a Park's Saber up close. I know he incorporates an enormously bulky battery pack but I always figured that the insides could be discarded for tcss equiptment (3/4 blade, inverter...). A MR sound card is so small it never occurred to me that you couldn't work it into a Park's hilt if you were re-doing it from scratch.

All the same, here's an updated link to Do-Clo's diagram for EL with sound:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...t=sound+switch

no his stuff is alot thinner than TCSS parts if I remember right.

Odd. I thought a while back about getting a hilt from him and completely gutting it. I thought I could use his empty hilt as a shell to refit with tcss parts. I moved on to other projects and forgot about it.

Is the problem dealing with the mono jack? If I'm right (I may well not be) I recall reading somewhere that he uses a different jack for his blades. Is compensating for the jack the problem? I'm not in any way trying to be argumentative here becuase obviously J-Lo would know better than me, but for curiosity sake, can anyone post a pic of a gutted Park's hilt? I'm just really curious what the inner diameter is.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Parks sabers don't have bulky battery packs. There's barely room for a 9V battery in most of them, which is what powers them. Though I think the Graflex version has the "Deuce" technology, it runs on 2 9Vs.

The ID is pretty narrow, the inverter is cylindrical, there's probably not much more than 1" to the ID.

I have 2 Parks, the Malestrom 2 and the Fusion.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I was going by the pics that he has on the website for the battery pack. That's why I mentioned that I've never seen one in person. Those pics make the battery pack look bulky to me.

I've long ago been won over by LED. After several FX conversions for friends and noting the difference in heft between EL and LED blades (EL are MUCH heavier), I've trended towards LED.

I'm just a bit surprised that Park's hilts are so difficult to improve upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    Maybe it's the fact that I have an older unit... but my M2 unit has just enough room between the Inverter and the 9V battery to cram in the Obi MR board I have. Mind you... so far it's just been a dry fit to see if the actual bits fit inside. But I'm sure I can save a bit of room while doing the install. And I'm thinking of swapping the old inverter for a new 4khz one anyhow which looks a bit smaller then the one installed.

Thanks for the info btw... finally found the index. silly me.

And to be honest... I'm going to chime in and make a comment my wife just made to me:

"Even if you can't get a sound card in that thing... maybe you can find a way to amplify the inverter hum. At least it's the unit's 'Natural sound""

I like that idea... and may run with it.

I love all my LED sabers and wouldn't trade them for anything. BUT there is just something about some of the EL sabers that make me still drool! They are still nice... I'm glad to own both.

-Blair
    UK Saber Smith and Prop Maker.