Thread: Corbins board with 5 watt or k2?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Corbins board with 5 watt or k2?

just a quick question, I noticed that corbin is using his driver with a 5 watt green, the info for the driver says its for 3 watt lux. i just wanted to know if anyone has any advice or tips on running this thing with 5 watt or k2's?
    If it ain't burning I didn't do it!
    Card carrying member of the FSM!

You will be fine with a 5 watt as long as the voltage is there to support it (7v + ideally) as the current te 5w wants is still only 700ma which is what the board was designed for. The driver will just supply 700ma to the led at the voltage it needs.

It isnt so go for the K2's as they want more current (1500ma) so while it will run them it wont do so at anywhere near rated specs.
    Phil Higgins

thanks Neophyl! I like 3 watt lux myself but my girlfriend wants me to make her a hilt with a purple blade and had her heart set on a k2 with corbin's board for the light effects, i wish i had the experience to scratch build my own boards like erv but i have a long way to go.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Corbin's overdrives the Lux V. I believe he once told me it pulses between 700 and 1300mA for about an apparent of 1100mA.

So V = overdriven but K2 is not as bad as you thought.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

To double-confirm (since I worked with Corbin heavily for BOP I)... X-wing is correct that his driver pretty much "averages" at about 1A.

This does indeed mean that an LED that "wants" 700ma (Lux V) is indeed being over-driven... whereas others are getting just what they like... or less (such as a K2 green, 1.5A max cont. current)

So in the case of a K2 green, so far NO board I know can drive that at its "full" potential.

Still... you cannot visually tell 1.3A from 1.5A. It is too small a difference.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

awesome thanks again to everyone!