Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Resonance -- let's get this hammered out!

I was experimenting with something one the last saber I put together. Nothing new or ground-breaking, but it was a departure for me and the way I typically do things. I put the speaker with a very small (0.5") resonance chamber directly behind the heatsink. The soundboard fits directly behind that, that the battery holder behind that. Even though the saber is fairly packed to the gills, there's enough room for air to travel and I get a full, robust, loud sound from the rear of the saber.

I think I know about the saber you mean... the thin-necked one, right? That makes sense, since the sound can travel all the way down the length of the entire saber... creating a NICE amount of resonance.

Personally, I steer clear of putting speakers near the heatsink because of the heat, but... if it's far enough away, it should be ok.

Additionally--for the sabers I'd WANT to put the speaker up there in--it's PACKED up there (for me). The sound would get blocked pretty badly.

But that is AWESOME if you basically have yourself a 10" or so resonance chamber. That really is the ideal for the mostpart.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    Thanks guys... I'll be reviewing all this in detail to be sure of what everyone is saying and see about how it differs (or is similar) to what I did for the Flange v3. I tried to give it as much resonance as possible without overdoing it and losing good sound.
    X can tell me to get a life, but the simple (math) way to do it would be to find the average frequency of the most common sound (in this case, the hum), then calculate the 1/4 wave distance to come up with ideal resonance chamber length. In theory, it should give an approximate 7dB increase. That may not sound significant, but a 3dB increase is an effective doubling of sound pressure levels, so 7dB is pretty significant in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by lenco12 View Post
    X can tell me to get a life, but the simple (math) way to do it would be to find the average frequency of the most common sound (in this case, the hum), then calculate the 1/4 wave distance to come up with ideal resonance chamber length. In theory, it should give an approximate 7dB increase. That may not sound significant, but a 3dB increase is an effective doubling of sound pressure levels, so 7dB is pretty significant in fact.

Unfortunately there is nothing simple about the subject. Besides, quarter wave lengths at those frequencies are a few feet.

Detailed info.
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ad.php?t=11537

Sunrider is (pretty much as always)... right.

I don't know who "X" is, either. But either way... unfortunately sound is (shall I emphasize this again) quite dynamic... especially when it comes to "lightsaber" style sounds, and it's pretty much tough as nails to come up with some kind of simplistic & formulaic "one size resonates all" solution.

Not that it wouldn't be welcomed if it existed!

That all being said... some of the tests that Sunrider did with a decibel meter and some experiments have given us some good headway, for sure!!

Still... sometimes yer kinda "stuck" with a certain solution for a speaker setup. I mean... I know *I* don't have much of ANY kind of room in my (for example) Flange III & IV sabers. So, at this point, I am limited to trying new, and/or different speakers of varying sizes within the limitations of the ID of the area I'm trying to place said speakers.

FORTUNATELY... I have the ability (in those particular sabers) to use speakers even up to 44mm or 45mm (!!!)... thing is... they aren't always ideal--even despite their size...

...response frequencies play a factor...
    ...changing speaker size alters the resonance (of course)...
    ...battery power/draw plays a factor...
    ...in this case, these CFs have the volume POT... which plays a factor into the amount of distortion I can "bear"(?) or quality I am willing to sac for a bit more volume...
    ...changing the volume alters the way the soundwaves behave as WELL...

...so... yeah. Basically... sound is super super dynamic.

Uh... unless you just have like a flat, non-changing "tone" playing. Like say on the emergency broadcast things? You know? Which would be annoying for one thing, and not very useful in a saber, lol.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide