Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Questions about FX Darth Maul

Default Questions about FX Darth Maul

I snagged a pair of battle-damaged Darth Mauls a couple of days ago. They are used, and the ends, where the caps or the coupler attach, have galled threads worse than I can repair or even live with. Just how far does this saber disassemble?

I ask, because it seems more than likely I will have to have some custom work done to machine out the ends, then have a new coupler made with vents for sound. The upside is that the new coupler will be aluminum whereas the old one is steel. Bonus for similar metals throughout!

Thoughts?

Default maul

from what your saying pretty much your only option is to recut the threads. i dont have a mic on hand but i would guess that it shouldnt be a problem to mill out the old threads and cut new ones. the outer hilt body unfortunately is one continuous piece so simply replacing the end isnt an option. bummer bud!

you might also try filling the threads with all metal and retapping to the size of the stock pommel and connector... it would be much easier than trying to custom fab new parts

I was thinking of a simpler solution. I was thinking of just machining out the threads so the tube is smooth on the inside, then machining up a coupler, also smooth, and just bolting the damned thing together. There's certainly enough meat on the Mauls to make a connection rigid enough for dueling.

I don't know. I'm kind of miffed. Galled threads irk me. GRRRR...

Jon mad...go pout...

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jonitus
    I was thinking of a simpler solution. I was thinking of just machining out the threads so the tube is smooth on the inside, then machining up a coupler, also smooth, and just bolting the damned thing together. There's certainly enough meat on the Mauls to make a connection rigid enough for dueling.

I don't know. I'm kind of miffed. Galled threads irk me. GRRRR...

Jon mad...go pout...
    that's not a bad cure for it, just make sure you make the coupler long enough to push the batt pack in good n tight. On mine I actually got the emitter to unscrew. also there is a spot right whrere the big pin goes through that has threads also but I was unable to get it loose.

BLUE 3- Ready

In time (which I never have enough of), this staff will be completely disassembled, completely polished, and completely revamped with new electronics from Ultra and Tim. I mean were talking dual STEVE boards, dual LiIon battery packs, recharge ports integrated into the dual saber coupler...the works. This is not a weekend project by any stretch of the imagination.

First things first, however...must disassemble. Loverly parts...parts and boards and packs, oh my!

Default maul woes

ive been meaning to ask, how did you go about unscrewing the emitter? i pulled back the o ring earlier and saw the threads but was unable to break them loose, maybe ill try putting it in the freezer...

Default Re: maul woes

Quote Originally Posted by jjshumpert
    ive been meaning to ask, how did you go about unscrewing the emitter? i pulled back the o ring earlier and saw the threads but was unable to break them loose, maybe ill try putting it in the freezer...
    not sure of that one, it just happened to pop loose, the other 2 I have I can't budge, maybe some bad mr glue. Hey jonitus, If you are goin to get rid of the switch housings , think of me first.

BLUE 3- Ready

Default maul woes

it was the plastic switch extension that comes thru the hilt that you needed vt?

Bassicly the whole turn switch essembly.

BLUE 3- Ready

I can't make any promises about the switch assemblies, but I will have a couple sound boards and battery packs for sale. Not gonna need them once I get through with this thing.