Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is that seriously it?

Default Is that seriously it?

So I just built my first mhs led saber, Is air suction seriously the only thing that is holding the blade in?

You need a blade retention thumbscrew.

Have you read ANY of the how-to's around here?
    This Jedi Ranger has a name....Terek Kelrune. Don't forget it.

Trust us, DO NOT SWING THAT THING AROUND WITHOUT A RETENTION SCREW!!!!!!

Who's got their BFh9000 with'em! I'll even settle for a flamethrower!
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

LOL!

Yeah, air suction alone... would... uh... suck. (I had to say it).

I can only imagine what immensely ugly disasters would have occurred if I had left the blade screws out on BOP I.

Crashteam... have a look at what happens when the blade screw is either loose or missing:

"PLAYING AROUND"
    by Cael Nordiun
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pztn_VAoyVk

*SIGH*. This is what happens when you play around.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Bring you lightsaber to work day was good fun for me! My area mgr was swinging my saber around, the blade goes shooting off into the stockroom & he turns to me with an absolute look of terror in his eye thinking he'd busted it!!!!!
    He's normally quite an intimidating guy, being like 6'6 & a skinhead but the look on his face!!!! If only I could have taken a photo!!!
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Well When you read the how to in the basic led blade section it doesnt show what attaches to the blade at all, just shows holes for mounting it to the sink tube.

I would have assumed that the MHS Blade holder part would have had the hold pre drilled for a blade retention, I was apparently wrong though. I guess Ill have to source out a way to get a hold drilled and taped for a thumbscrew...

But seriously though, The how to's on here are good for the in depth stuff like wiring, but they leave a few things out that our obviously important but you prolly assume that the person should just know, but there are retards like me out there who need things spelled out! Flame away if you must...

I suggest you read the LED hilt tutorial again. It does tell you to drill a hole for the retention screw.

Edit: In fact it is the very first step.

Default thumbscrew

drill and tap is a pretty easy process. pick out the blade retention screw you wish to use and order the matching drill and tap set with a tap handle from the store. drill the hole where you want it with the bit, then using your tap and handle slowly cut the threads. if you feel resistance while tapping the threads stop, back out the tap, and clean out the hole well with air duster or water, then re insert your tap and go at it again. it takes a few minutes and is really simple to do. if you took it to a shop they would probably laugh at you and charge 10.00 or more to do what you could take care of easily yourself and still have the tools on hand to tap threads in other pieces

Crashteam85 ... first sentence in the how-to thread: "First you need to drill some mouting holes and a set screw hole in your blade holder. I use two 8-32 mounting and one 10-32 thumb screw." ... thumb screw Crashteam85 ... thumb screw

See that first big screw in the picture ... thumb screw

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Barmic Rin
    Trust us, DO NOT SWING THAT THING AROUND WITHOUT A RETENTION SCREW!!!!!!

Who's got their BFh9000 with'em! I'll even settle for a flamethrower!

and the flamethrower...

on another note, your question has been answered totally and completely by everyone here crashteam
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!