Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread: Corbin's saber from Jonitus

To illustrate what I'm trying to mimic, I sat the Malius up next to this saber and even had the Killer Penny in there. Hasid, I COULD shorten up the box, but it's already made. I'm not sure how well it could be altered. Note, the parts are just set on the center saber for illustration purposes and the aluminum is bead blasted since I'm going to have it moly coated. I'll likely have that dome shaped piece on the box be attached to a slide switch or something. I considered having a lit up rune on the top of the box too. We'll see though.

Here's a shot of it from the side:

So, if I went with it like this, with the knob up top to serve as a blade retention screw and without the other 2 knobs, it would be like this. Note, the Malius saber has a knob here with a cracked red glass eye. I might do something similar and have the BRS holowed out to allow the blade's light to travel up the screw and illuminate the eye piece. Oh, I added a covertech like piece that's somewhat smaller for a carrying clip I have called a Krussel clip.

And a closeup of the Malius from the side. Note that the same looking view in my signature is actually flipped around in a mirror image.

Freaking sweet! That's all I got to say.

Dang...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonitus
    Freaking sweet! That's all I got to say.

Dang...
    Thanks dude!

I was worried that you were bummed that I'm changing things around so much of this saber, since you originally made it. I haven't heard from you lately. I'm glad this meets with your approval.

Do you have a favorite version or design element?

I think I am fondest of version 5 so far. The latest incarnations have too much brass, especially the pommel, IMHO. I like the use of the runes on 5, but would also add the control knobs from your latest version to it.

Kinda hard to believe it's the same saber. It's better. Where'd you get the control box, btw? I may have missed it in the thread. I could definitely use something like that for a planned "ancient saber" I want to build.

The box was custom machined a while back. It was originally meant to go on a Luxeon version of the Malius saber, but that saber was wrought with issues and will likely never be finished. So instead of having parts just laying around, I figured I might as well use them.

The BRS knob would actually have to be made custom. The one in the picture was just to get the feel to see if it's something I want to do.

I actually just came up with that brass pommel tonight (well, yesterday, it's 3AM now). I'm wanting to have more brass accents back there and wasn't quite sure how to do it. I considered having a series of rods or tubes coming out some of those holes in the bottom and having them attach to a brass plate that would kick the sound out sideways.

Pretty self explanatory. I just need to find a circuit that lights up an LED when the 4.8V NiMH battery pack gets low. I suppose I could always try to dismantle a PLI and just use one of the LEDs, but I'd prefer an easier option.

Any suggestions?

Corbin that is another masterpiece, I really like that Hilt. Excellent work my friend.
    " I am a Jedi like my Father before Me"
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Thanks GF13
    I'm not sure about having the pommel made of brass yet, and I might have the low battery LED be a recharging LED if I can't find a circuit for it. Other than that, I THINK I'm just about done redesigning it.

Corbin

Well you got me thinking and since in my Stunt Sabers I want the hilt as plain as possible, what if instead of a PLI or a Led make a super compact voltmeter/Pli (pocket size) with the Charging Plug so you can quickly check the Battery Pack externally. I haven't built one, since none of my Sabers are Rechargable yet but I am thinking of this in the Future.
    " I am a Jedi like my Father before Me"
    ----------------------------------------------------------

I've assembed PLIs into small "Tic-Tac" sized boxes before with a plug on it to measure battery levels before. It's a nice thing to have if you don't have a PLI on the saber. Just make sure it's set for the right voltage.

The reason I'm looking into having an LED on the box is... the box is already made and has a hole there, originally for a small recharge port, back when I used headphone jacks for recharge ports.

If need be, I could just put an audio jack or small LED or some other "greeblie" there that's not even functional. I just thought that since it's already there, it coldn't hurt to have something there that actually worked.

I'm open to suggestions, but I'm thinking either an LED or a port of some kind. I could use one of the portable PLI with the existing recharge port, so there's no need to make a second.

A headphone jack would be interesting, but not very practical. I mean, unless I wanted to wear headphones to practice my saber skills without others hearing, what's the point? I suppose I could plug in an FM transmitter to broadcast the sounds over a home stereo, but then I'd have the transmitter strapped to my wrist. If I could find a REALLY small transmitter, I might put a switch there to turn it on or off. But as most saber builders know, real estate inside a saber gets used up really quickly. Unless the transmitter was extremely small, I doubt there would be room for it.

If this saber had a sound board with an auxillary button, I could put that there...but the older Plecter board going into this one doesn't have that function available. It does the flash on impact and such, but no blaster deflection and no lockup.

So, here's the choices as I see it:

• 1:Have an LED there that's a low battery indicator
      2:Have the same LED be a recharging indicator that goes off when the bateries are charged
      3:Have a port of some type there for headphone or an FM transmitter
      4:Have some non-functional "greeblie" just for looks
      5:Have the port there used for a remote PLI that doesn't shut off the saber when it's plugged in like the regular one does
      6:Some sort of mounting screw to hold the box onto the saber somehow?
      7:Carry the "deactivation key" plug that killls all power when inserted into the recharge port

Corbin