Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Weathering. Share your methods and experiences.

Default blueing

you need some of this stuff

Hey Shump, did you lacquer your pieces after you blued them? The people that I have talked to offered mixed advice about lacquering, and I would rather not bother unless it is necessary.

Default blueing

i have tried it a few times but to me it isnt worth the hassle. the blueing effect will "rub off" as you handle the hilt, but then by blueing you have chemically treated the metal and with time it will accent the original color change very nicely from the addition of the oils and acids from your hands

I have been "aging" Flange v3 in several ways--none of which I consider to be perfect, as it's my first experiment. Maybe I'll show photos after C4, but I'm kinda busy until then.

Anyhow...

1. The "non-slip" spray to give a frost coat.
    2. A little "gold rust" spray paint.
    3. Hand drill with a grinder head.
    4. Dragging things across it, such as a screwdriver, pliers, rub it with varying grade wire-brushes.
    5. Talk mean to it. EVIL SABER!!! BAD, BAD BAAAAADDD!!! GrrrrRRRRrrRRrrRRrrrrr....

It seems to be working. Ok, #5 isn't as effective as I'd hoped, and was probably busted on MythBusters like in season 2 or whatever.

The only thing I wish I hadn't aged was the TCSS black anodized emitter. I think it looks better mostly black rather than with the rusty gold paint.

BTW, I should have a "Darkside" v1.2 CF/BT saber wired up for C4 also. The sounds are VERY YUMMY, and I'm glad to share the soundfonts on Erv's site. Have a look, play around, and have fun.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Hi
    I've got a bunch of pics of the individual weathered parts that I might post. We'll see how that goes. I've just been too busy, considering I leave for C4 in 26 hours.

Got both MHS sabers done though.

Excited you are... leaving you will be, soon it is.

Good to hear it is that completed the MHS sabers you have...

I'll see you there, I should have the "good" and "bad" versions of Flange wired up with v1.2 of Erv's, both running at the max 1.3A.

Hopefully, both will be weathered nicely, but--only time will tell.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

I'm back from C4!
    Here's a couple quick pics of the weathered KP saber:

Handling it at C4 polished it up a bit, so I'll likely do some more weathering on it later.

Corbin

Well I just finished my weathered MHS saber and posted pics in the gallery. I have to say the oxidizers worked very well. You guys should definitely consider offering it in the store.

It's a hazardous material and requires more expensive shipping. Unless we could sell boatloads of the stuff, I doubt we'd be able to get a sufficient price break since we wouldn't be buying a ton of it.

Corbin

Grinding, sanding, and otherwise "defacing" the materials provide great weathering without the added hazards of chemicals. Although I will say that the "snow spray" stuff I used (mainly for grip) was effective to spray on and then grind OFF a bit of it as well to create a desired effect.