Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Weathering. Share your methods and experiences.

TR : I read about it on a Ghostbuster fan forum. Also to answer Eastern 57. in the original post it says to use vinegar. I tried using apple cider vinegar. but it didn't yield the results I was looking for. Also In the original post someone else had used Franks hot sauce. overnight. His turned green in parts. So I broke out the Tabasco and got this in a few hours. I think its a combination of the vinegar and tomatoes (rather acidic). There was black particles in the Tabasco when I pulled it out.Proving a definite chemical reaction/physical change. The green will wipe away. but the browning and aging stay.The oddest part of this to me is if you dip or cover the brass in ketchup or vinegar individually, they will clean brass. Combined their vapors do harm. I shall dub this "Cajun aging".Hope to see some new brass aged sabers coming out. enjoy guys.
    Last edited by Ari-Jaq Xulden; 06-13-2010 at 05:36 AM. Reason: added something

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Thanks. I was also wondering if it was the vinegar, but it seemed odd since I knew that vinegar actually cleans brass when applied directly. I will be trying this technique for sure.

I just attempted some weathering to my ROTJ MR saber conversion I'm doing. Turned out nice. I couldn't find any of those knurled knobs for the pommel area so I used a LR44 watch style battery until then. Looks kind of fitting on a lightsaber. I used a wire brush/disc attachment on my dremel and went all over it taking all the paint off then using anodized gunmetal automotive paint I misted it over the body and then used scotchbrite pads/sandpaper here and there until I was satisfied. I want to do more and make it even more worn, but I made myself quit.
    , then put flat clear coat over it. I will probably go over the black area's with scothbrite pad and dull it.

Last edited by Pitt; 06-28-2010 at 03:34 PM.

I have no pics but I have found that sand the part you want weathered, paint it black (lol roling stones) then sand some off to your desired look, then re apply black paint again, sand it, and then perhaps seal or add rust coloured paint.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)