Thread: EL Wire Blade Life

Default EL Wire Blade Life

How long will an EL Wire blade last? My saber uses a 2khz inverter running on two 9volt batteries. Any info would be appreciated.
    "Try not, do or do not, there is no try."
    - Jedi Master Yoda

Could someone be courteous enough to answer my question?
    - Jedi Master Yoda

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That's not something most people here would know about. And not a lot of people are using it that much anymore.

Typically, depending on the frequency of your inverter, and also the voltage run through the wire, it should last several hundred hours before it starts to dim.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

To Jedi-Loreen you listend, She's THE expert when it comes to making EL blades for lightsaber.

if even her doesn't know the answer, the only solution would be to contact the manufacturer.

I am planing on making a nightlight out of a EL-setup for my graflex. Should be finished soon after I move, so somewhere in july?. Will then let it run for a few years and let you know as soon as its dimmer
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Even asking the manufacturer would not get you a real answer. Lifespan is typically a few thousand hours. When using a 4k inverter it will lessen the lifespan more than using a 2k inverter etc. What batterys you use only effects the lifespan because you are overpowering the inverter and therefore increasing the Hz. I have never seen any direct specs that will tell you exactly how long they will last. I can tell you that I have never heard of someone complain because there EL wire went dead from use though.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Thanks for the info everyone, I appreciate it.
    - Jedi Master Yoda