Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hardware special

Default Hardware special

Since the 1.25" EL adapters are still out of stock, I pose the question. I see there is a hardware special that can be constructed for the 1.5" tube, but has anyone here done the same (modified some parts from Lowe's or Home Depot) to accommodate an EL blade in a 1.25" tube?

Default 1.25 el

tims newer blade holders are all set up for 1 inch blades, the el blade holder sets have a shim that will allow you to use the 3/4 inch blades in the 1 inch holders, so if you were to buy his 1.25 blade holder, reducer, mono jack, inverter setup, find a washer similar to what tim includes with the 1 inch el blade holders and a blade it wouldnt be any problem to create a 1.25 el hilt.

Default Re: 1.25 el

Quote Originally Posted by jjshumpert
    tims newer blade holders are all set up for 1 inch blades, the el blade holder sets have a shim that will allow you to use the 3/4 inch blades in the 1 inch holders, so if you were to buy his 1.25 blade holder, reducer, mono jack, inverter setup, find a washer similar to what tim includes with the 1 inch el blade holders and a blade it wouldnt be any problem to create a 1.25 el hilt.
    But the 1.25" holder is out of stock. That's why I am looking for an alternative method. I'm looking for a solution to fit entirely inside the tubing.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you're saying?

ETA: are you referring to using the 1.25" LED blade holder and modifying it to accept a washer and mono jack? If so, that might could work. Hell, I never even considered that.

Default blade holders

yep yep brother jonitus, in order to save time and machining costs tim has reset the blade holders to all be for 1 inch blades and now using 1 to 3/4 inch reducers for use of el systems. so if you get the 1.25 led blade holder all you need to go el is the reducer, washer, mono plug/jack, inverter, blade tube, el wire and diffusor... look closer at what tim offerers as el blade holders, they are all in fact 1 inch blade holders with these parts instead of a heatsink

See, I never look at the EL stuff anymore. I haven't had an EL saber for a couple years now and just left it behind when I built my first LED saber.

Hopefully I can track down an acceptable flat washer at the local hardware store to house the mono jack.

Default Re: Hardware special

Quote Originally Posted by Jonitus
    Since the 1.25" EL adapters are still out of stock, I pose the question. I see there is a hardware special that can be constructed for the 1.5" tube, but has anyone here done the same (modified some parts from Lowe's or Home Depot) to accommodate an EL blade in a 1.25" tube?
    I used the same harware materials for the 1.5 diameter to make a 1.25 diameter el saber, instead of wrapping tape around the pvc piece I sanded it to fit inside the 1.25 inch tube, worked great and made a nice el saber.
    ;

Do-Clo Custom Sabers
    http://doclocustomsabers.com/
    Replica Prop Artist

Hark! Doth mine ears deceive me? Use the same hardware components as the 1.5" tutorial to make the 1.25" EL saber? Surely you jest, Darth Technous!

If ye be not joking, then 'tis surely good news.

*standing triumphantly with hands upon hips*

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

For my little "light dagger" I made, I used a 1.25 sink tube and made the blade holder from a thin walled piece of PVC that I cut a section out of to make it a smaller diameter.

Then I hollowed out a 1" end cap to fit the blade holder inside and ground down the outside so that it fit into the sink tube. The female mono plug is epoxied into the end of the blade holder.

I made 20" blades for it that are only 5/8" diameter. I did that so that the full size blades would not fit inside it.

I made this a couple of years before this place existed.
    Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 08-09-2010 at 01:12 AM.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

If you decide to use the 1.25" LED blade holder then just let me know when you order it and I will remove the LED specific parts and add the EL parts needed. As in ditch the led mount and add the reducer and washer.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur
    If you decide to use the 1.25" LED blade holder then just let me know when you order it and I will remove the LED specific parts and add the EL parts needed. As in ditch the led mount and add the reducer and washer.
    SOLD! I'll place the order this afternoon. BTW, what's the OD of that 1.25" LED blade holder? I'm building the saber out of 1.25" OD, 1.18" ID T6 Aluminum.