Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MHS Obi-Wan by Jonitus

Default MHS Obi-Wan by Jonitus

Here it is. This saber has been a labor for me because of the back-story attached to it. If you feel compelled, please read the history of this saber before viewing the pictures.

A very dear friend of mine commissioned me to build him a saber that shared some elements of Obi-Wan's saber. This was last year and he loved the saber I had built for him. Electronics being what they were (I used a Hasbro sound board in that saber), the driver went out and his saber was little more than a display piece. Still nice, but not quite all there.

This friend, for all he has done for me through the time we've known each other, deserves to have a fine saber to add to his collection of sci-fi. When he asked me to take a look at his old saber, I chose instead to build him a new saber, using Tim's parts and my creativity. What you see below is the culmination of a few months worth of work on evenings and weekends. Times I was not working overtime or practicing my guitar or spending quality time with my girlfriend, I was working on this saber.

I gutted my own personal saber for the MR sound board that drives this saber, so once again, I am without a saber of my own. I do not feel bad, however, for I think this saber speaks for itself. I can say that I feel this is my finest work yet for a non-commissioned job.

I submit for your viewing, critiquing and criticism:

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That's a beautiful saber. I love the paint and I'm guessing contact paper for the brass.

Did you pull the cap off the handwheel to let more sound out?
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    That's a beautiful saber. I love the paint and I'm guessing contact paper for the brass.

Did you pull the cap off the handwheel to let more sound out?
    Yep, I just pulled the cap off the handwheel. I think it still looks good. The "brass" is an adhesive-backed Mylar I found in the local hobby shop. Same type of stuff sold as the "copper upgrade kit" for the Luke 2005 as on FX-Sabers.com.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Interesting, I'll be working on my Parks later and I thought that might be an issue with letting sound out. I may fashion a grille though...

I probably need to grab some of the brass and copper stuff when I see it again. I always see it under the "contact paper" brand at hobby shops.

Great work, danged purdy.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

that is a VERY good looking saber jonitus!!!
    what did you use to get the ribbed section black?

as xwing said, danged purdy saber
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul
    that is a VERY good looking saber jonitus!!!
    what did you use to get the ribbed section black?

as xwing said, danged purdy saber
    The black is Rustoleum Textured. You should be able to pick it up nearly anywhere. I scuffed the parts to be painted with 400 grit, then cleaned them very well with soap and water, let them dry thoroughly, then right before spraying, gave them a wipe down with alcohol. I used between six and eight coats. I clear-coated with an acrylic gloss clear coat.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

i used the rustoleum on my anakin rots conversion. works great!

that is a truly beautiful saber jonitus. your friend will be soooo happy
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Beautiful saber, Jonitus! It looks you spent some quality time with a buffing wheel on that one!

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That is one sweet saber! Your friend is a lucky guy.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

that is a darn nice saber!!! good job man.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.