Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Ultra's recording of the ignition, hum, clash, and retract!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

it is 1x2x.5 inches
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul
    it is 1x2x.5 inches
    thanks maul

BLUE 3- Ready

I guess it really IS "off-topic", but... anyone know what the idle draw of the board will be?

In other words--how much current the board uses while it is "off"? For example, Erv's new v2.x now draws 6ma max instead of the possible 10ma to 20ma that the v1.2 did...

Naturally I don't mean if you use a general power switch ("cut" the batteries).
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

I know this may not help much, but I think that he said that it won't draw anymore power than a stock MR saber turned off...whatever that is.

-Kyp

That helps!

The stock MR doesn't draw much of anything when it is shut down.

Erv's has to draw a decent amount more since it is programmable "on-the-fly" so to speak.

It's nice to know though, with Alex's... basically means not much need for a kill switch. Unless you're storing your saber for like a YEAR, and even then batteries drain THEMSELVES more than his board ever will.

Thanks...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSWG
    Ok, this is how it works, the button is just like a key on your keyboard, it sends a signal to the board to tell it to turn on or off, it doesn't handle the power flow directly. This is how the switches on an MR, Hasbro, and Corbin Driver works, even though some use latching and others use momentary, it's still the same principle.

A momentary setup is better than a latching setup in many ways. Even a latching can be accidently turned off while dueling. It will be difficult to turn a saber off by accident while using this board since the button must be held down for 2 seconds to deactivate the saber.

There's also a plethora of momentary pushbutton switches available, so the variety is huge. You can even make your own switch easily. There are literally only a handful of latching push buttons available, so in the end, everyone uses the same button.

As for passive draw, I don't have the exact figure, but it's no worse than the passive draw of an MR.
    Yep, I was right about that, glad I could be of help to you Novastar!

-Kyp

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Ultra's board only needs to store the LED setting. Erv's also monitors angles and settings, etc... simply less things to do. An MR is even less. It's doesn't need to "remember" anything.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Well, cool that it will be negligible.

As to Alex's comments about pushbuttons over latching switches and so forth--I disagree, but that's just my personal preference. The latching switches I have in sabers are 99% impossible to accidentally shut off.

But... I don't mean the pushbutton type--I use a latching slide switch. I don't want to de-rail the thread, but anyhow... It's the best switch setup I've EVER had.

But, I *DO* think Ultra's "2-second shutoff" idea is cool. At least it is a UNIQUE and fun idea!

Besides... as soon as the pre-orders were going on, I bought one, heheh--was probably at least one of the first 10 buyers, hahahah...