Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultra's recording of the ignition, hum, clash, and retract!

Default Ultra's recording of the ignition, hum, clash, and retract!

http://www.ultrasabers.com/UltraSoun...rotoTest02.wav

This was recorded with a mic by Ultra and sounds damn good to me!

There are no other selectible sounds because he said that it would raise the price and delay the release even further, but who gets tired of Luke ROTJ sounds anyways, lol.

I can't wait for Yoda to convert my ESB Graflex with this!!

BTW, he said that he's gonna be fine tuning the ignition to hum transition a bit more, but it's nothing that should interfere with the release of these sometime in mid-late May.

*Edit*

He just posted a list, so here it is, in quote form:

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra
    I found the features list I posted a couple months back, I'll just edit it to reflect the current design. Please ignore the inevitable typo

Jumperless board
    Every option on our board is controlled through the switch and the saber "talks" you through the options in a soothing female voice. It's very nifty and sets our board apart from anything else out there.

Sound board basics:
    Ignition sound, retraction, idle hum, impact, motion sounds . You can hear the demo a few posts up.

Sound board details:
    Motion and impact detection don't rely on simple vibration switches and ball-bearing switches. Instead, a single velocity sensor is used to detect both motion and impact based on speed. For motion sounds, the board modifies the idle hum dynamically based on the speed of the saber. Either the pitch, volume, or a combination is modified based on velocity.

//change in design from previous design doc//
    the motion sounds are now augmented with additional algorithms to make the motion sound more apparant whereas before I thought the motion sounds were too subtle.
    //---------/

Our sound mixing is very advanced as well, the board fades one sound into another and fades the sounds in and out so they don't sound recorded. If you change directions rapidly and then hit something, it's combined into a smooth sequence. The impact sound shuffle algorithm ensures that rapid successive hits will not repeat the same impact sound over and over.

On-board 1watt amplifier
    It's loud. Like, really loud. If you're going to build a saber around this board, having a volume control might be a good idea. I know I'm going to install mute buttons in my personal sabers just so I don't wake up the whole house when I want to do some midnight spins.

4 different types of Luxeon LEDs supported
    Luxeon III White, Blue, Green, Cyan, Royal Blue
    Luxeon III Red, Amber, Red-Orange
    Luxeon V and Luxeon V Portable (Lux V requires at least 7.2v input)
    Luxeon K2 High Current White, Blue, Green, Cyan, Royal Blue

*note* Luxeon K2 Red, Amber, and Red-Orange are NOT supported until a high current version of those LED's are released

Selecting a Luxeon is done in the menu. During initial setup, the Luxeon is disabled until you select the correct type.

Pulse Mode
    Gives the blade the "movie flicker" effect. This can be enabled and disabled in the voice menu.

Fade-on, Fade-off
    When activated, the blade fades on, when deactivated, the blade fades off. This can be used in conjunction with a Corbin Film blade to give the illusion of an extension and retraction.

ADP - Accidental Deactivation Prevention
    Another original UltraSaber design. The saber will turn on with one press of a momentary contact switch. It will stay on until the switch is held down for approx one second. Then it will turn off. This will help prevent accidental deactivation.

Requested Features that did not make it into this version:

Flash on Impact
    This is actually more complicated to do than it sounds. The proper implimentation of this effect is to have the saber flash *brighter* upon impact, not dimmer. This requires the saber to under-drive the Luxeon and then spike the current when it detects a collision. This would also need to be user-selectable as alot of people would prefer their saber to be as bright as it can be all the time, not just during an impact. Every Luxeon color has a certain thresh-hold of luminosity where a spike would actually be noticed and that can also vary depending on bin code. There is simply no nominal code for that could be used universally to cover every luxeon type and color. For instance, you will notice a definate change in brightness if a blue Luxeon is spiked from 700ma to 1000ma, but you would not notice it at all with a green Luxeon. However, a Bin 6 blue would not show a 700ma to 1000ma spike nearly as well. So the menu would have to contain options for every Luxeon type, color, and bin code. Long story short, it would have required too much time and money to implement correctly. Not trying to make excuses, just

Selectable sounds
    Very possible, however, not very feasible without a removable media option or USB interface option. Bottom line is, it's too expensive. This feature would have broken my price point, so it didn't make it into the board.
    And there you have it folks!!

-Kyp

dude that is so cool. i hope it comes out soon, i want one before c4
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

It sounded just about perfect to me, I can't wait to get my hands on one or more of them, myself!

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

im def getting this and buttered toast.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

Ryma Mara

I got to do some reading and sence the dental blue led has the same forward voltage as that of a 5W my guess is that sence it will work with corbins driver it should work with ultras.

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

what has that got to do with ultras board?

BLUE 3- Ready

Ryma Mara

That the dental led will work with ultras boad. just incase someone wanted to spend the 60$ on teh led then they can have options on how they want to run the thing.

yes but the conversation wasn't even about led's. sheesh

BLUE 3- Ready

Ryma Mara

Default Re: Ultra's recording of the ignition, hum, clash, and retra

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra
    4 different types of Luxeon LEDs supported
    Luxeon III White, Blue, Green, Cyan, Royal Blue
    Luxeon III Red, Amber, Red-Orange
    Luxeon V and Luxeon V Portable (Lux V requires at least 7.2v input)
    Luxeon K2 High Current White, Blue, Green, Cyan, Royal Blue

eh, I don't care about that. I just care about what it sounds like.

BLUE 3- Ready