Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How is the battery pack secured?

Sink tubes i've used tend to have more space than MHS, but like Countdown said, there's loads of wiring (I add a couple of inches to play with later if I upgrade at all) to stop it sloshing around.
    I'm currently using bubble wrap to secure my Buttered toast in place until I can get a sleeving that allows a bit breathing space around it.
    I've heard some one used speaker foam in one of theirs. Not sure who it was though, or how successful.
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

I think this is close enough to on topic. I am thinking of doing a rechargeable setup. The description of the 7.2 volt battery pack says it won't fit in the 1.25 sink tube. However three AA bateries will, so I was wondering if you sanded the 7.2 volt battery pack down a little, could you get it to fit in a 1.25 sink tube? or am i just begging to get battery acid all over myself?
    Speak softly and carry a big lightsaber.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The issue is the coating. Tim plasti-dips the packs to hold them together. I GUESS you could probably trim it but then why not get a 6AA triangle holder?
    RED LEADER Standing by!

As a note of caution, my guess would be that sanding batteries = bad.

Why not sand the inside of the TUBE if they just barely do not fit?

Or, simply couple a bigger section of sink tube (1.5") to a smaller one. Fit the batteries in the big tube, the rest in the smaller.

That is what I had to do to create my new saber--1.25" TCSS black anod holder + 1.25" sink tube + MHS to sink coupler + 1.5" tube. Bingo!

My 18650 7.2 Li-Ion 2400's go in the 1.5" portion nicely. Barely... but nicely.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    The issue is the coating. Tim plasti-dips the packs to hold them together. I GUESS you could probably trim it but then why not get a 6AA triangle holder?
    really Xwing
    on my battery pack, the plasti dip coating is only like 1/2 a mm thick if that. i can't imagine that not letting it in...
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

My 7.2 Li-Ion pack BARELY fits into the 1.5" sink tube I'm using...

It fits fine on its own, but when I use electrical tape around it to secure wires down as extra give... keep the PCB isolated, protect the batteries... it ALMOST prevents it from working in there.

How much space could one wrap of electrical tape add??! Not much. But... enough.

So it all depends on how much room is "enough".
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul
    Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    really Xwing
    on my battery pack, the plasti dip coating is only like 1/2 a mm thick if that. i can't imagine that not letting it in...
    Obviously when three AA's normally fit and in the rechargeable pack it doesn't... it's the coating!

Obviously you never tried pushing the square peg in the round hole. or ever seen how little it takes to make putting in a PolyC blade in the holder a pain.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Now Im not sugesting you try this and if you do its entirely your own stupid fault BUT.....

it has been known to slightly squeeze a nicd or nimh battery pack in a vise to very slightly narrow the pack. It makes a slight difference which could be all thats needed. Not that Ive evaar done anything that stupid mind

I certainly would attampt that with lithiums.
    Phil Higgins

Cool, if I squeeze my Li-Ion cells, will I get more energy density outta them?

Just kidding.

that kinda scares me when I was a kid I put a roll of paper caps into a vise (for some stupid reason i cant remember) and blew the jaws off, I have had hearing problems ever since, I'm not saying that batteries are that explosive but I just wouldn't take that chance.
    If it ain't burning I didn't do it!
    Card carrying member of the FSM!