Thread: New Topic Identifier Question

Default New Topic Identifier Question

I had an odd thing happen recently, and i wondered if anyone else has experienced this. I have my work computer on all day and several programs are up and active all day (email, work order page, TCSS forums...). Anyway, sometimes, generally on a monday when i have been away from the forums all weekend, i will bring up the forum page and there will be a load of new posts. Well if i happen to be perusing and get called away from my desk for a work order or something and i don't close down everything sometimes when i return(sometimes an hour, sometimes 3 or 4), the new post indicaters are all gone. Anyone else ever have this happen? Another time it has happened to me is if i open a second window with a different forum thread. When i refresh the original list, all the new topics are gone. Am i alone in this or has anyone else seen it as well?
    FSM What's on your belt?

its a normal behaviour. When you refresh the page, if you've been away long ennough, the server sees that as a new session.
    The "new posts" are not really "new", but "new since last visit"

therefore, if it hasn't changed since last time you went here, even if you haven't read it, its not "new"

how I make to counter this action is that I have 2 browser - 1 for job related (Internet Explorer) and 1 for when I have time to loose (I compile every now and then and need something to keep my brain active, TCSS is part of that) I use Firefox, with the tabs.
    Then, what I do, I open every thread where there's new post at the beginning of the day, and I read as time permit without caring about the new post indicator.

Might be something you want to look into.
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

Yeah, I use FireFox for my TCSS forum browsing, too. I open every new (interesting) thread as a new tab. I just don't stop 'til they're all gone.
    TCSS Red Squadron - The most kickawesome fighting force in the Galaxy.

Which Blue Luxeon is movie-accurate? Find out here.