Thread: Need help on circuit board

Default Need help on circuit board

Got my Darth Vader saber apart but my CB was connected directly to LED strip desoldered it but I cannot find a wiring schematic on what wires are what.

Any help is welcomed!
    IMG_5678.jpg

Thanks,
    Grey

Which vader saber is this? if this is a conversion of one (MR or Hasbro pre-2010), there are thread entries here for conversion: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...rs-Master-List

Quote Originally Posted by RavenXp View Post
    Which vader saber is this? if this is a conversion of one (MR or Hasbro pre-2010), there are thread entries here for conversion: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...rs-Master-List
    2003 Vader.

Hmmm... well, I believe the original boards used a common anode setup on the LED segments, with each segment having it's own negative line. Would need to use a multimeter to explore and test what lines are what with the board powered and the saber in an on state. The board is so old at this point that most likely any pinout images are no longer viewable in forum posts covering it (you might luck out, but you know how old forum posts can be). Plus since that version doesn't have a straight conversion kit and associated tutorial it means you are likely going to need to make your own pinout.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenXp View Post
    Hmmm... well, I believe the original boards used a common anode setup on the LED segments, with each segment having it's own negative line. Would need to use a multimeter to explore and test what lines are what with the board powered and the saber in an on state. The board is so old at this point that most likely any pinout images are no longer viewable in forum posts covering it (you might luck out, but you know how old forum posts can be). Plus since that version doesn't have a straight conversion kit and associated tutorial it means you are likely going to need to make your own pinout.
    Thanks could I buy a Xenopixel module and just replace the internal completely?

depends on the internal dimensions, the Xeno board is massive, and you would need to switch to a Li-Ion battery (3.7v) as most modern sound boards are no longer designed to function correctly off regular alkaline.

GHv3 is one I would recommend for the first time installer, small form factor and the soldering pads are large.

I'd do what Raven suggested, as well. I've been there and successfully converted two Disney Parks Exclusive sabers (Darth Vader & Rey) into fully neopixel hi-tech ones. This was in 2017 when Hollywood Studios offered only three types (Vader, Rey & Kylo) in that park only, way before Galaxy's Edge was even on the drawing board. I gutted them and with all TCSS supplies, did the transformations. CFX boards, pixel blades, 18650 15A batts, momentary switches, etc. Would be even easier with the slightly smaller and simpler GHv3. Have experience with both boards. Those two build got me started in saber building and I'm up to 11 now. Addicting hobby! I also used the leftover Disney electronics/blade lights from both to make simple sabers for my niece and nephew for gifts in TCSS hilt pieces. And I just found and bought the DPE Kylo Ren one on ebay in box. Might as well make it an even dozen. The Disney Parks Exclusive ones are very movie accurate and well made. I haven't decided on the board yet. Need to research which one will provide the delayed ignition side blades.

IMG_0775 (3).jpg
    As you can see, The GHv3 board is easy to wire up for a neopixel setup. You can load many sound fonts, change colors and blade effects.
    Very simple wiring and big soldering pads.
    From the left top to bottom is:
    Batt-
    Batt+/Pixel+
    Spkr-
    Spkr+
    Pixel Data

Right side top to bottom:
    Pixel- (link all three pads)
    Aux switch
    Switch ground common
    Act switch.

Easy enough. That is the basics from turning a toy into hobby grade. Challenge would be switches choices, placing them, having a chassis that fits, etc.