Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Golden Harvest v3 Phase 4 - Wiring Check (RGBW - In Hilt)

I would use 750 mA for Red, 1000mA for other colors.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Board Lurker

Thank you so much, everyone, for all your help on this hacked and slashed (maybe a little ugly) budget build/modification!!

I will post some completed pics and results soon, but first...

1. Order and install resistors.
    2. Make sure my USB charging port is wired correctly.

Board Lurker

One more question. When using the TCSS calculator, can I install the EXACT resistor I need to run each LED at 100% if they don't have one close enough?

For example, if the calc comes back with 84% brightness and the closest resistor is 3.3ohm, can I go buy a 2.7ohm to get 100%? The calculated resistance is 2.773 for red.

if you can source it sure, that 'closest resistor' part is just to guide you to the closest value the store carries is all, though some resistance values are harder to find. though usually with about 80-90% you wouldn't normally notice the difference in brightness unless you were really looking with how bright cree LED's are. At least that I've seen, I'm sure there is a tangible difference. Some even overdrive their dies but that has diminishing returns and will shorten the lifespan of the die.

Quote Originally Posted by atodd View Post
    One more question. When using the TCSS calculator, can I install the EXACT resistor I need to run each LED at 100% if they don't have one close enough?

For example, if the calc comes back with 84% brightness and the closest resistor is 3.3ohm, can I go buy a 2.7ohm to get 100%? The calculated resistance is 2.773 for red.
    You would risk blowing the LED. I ALWAYS recommend getting the next highest one.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Board Lurker

Thanks again for the advice. I will stick with the next highest one.