Thread: Too lit to quit: Neopixel blade doesn't deactivate

Default Too lit to quit: Neopixel blade doesn't deactivate

Problem:
    The neopixel blade activates fully once the saber is ignited and does not turn off until removed. By fully, I mean the blade does not undergo 'extension' scrolling effect with the pixels (the whole thing just turns on, up to the defined limit of pixels), it is fully white, and once the saber is deactivated, the blade remains lit. There do not appear to be any visible blade effects. I cannot change the color. The board is a CFX MK1.

Troubleshooting:
    The data line is fully intact. Testing continuity with a multimeter, there is continuity between the board and the data pin. It does not bridge with any other pin or line, including the nextdoor (-) lines.
    As mentioned above, the blade is able to be limited to the pixels defined.
    The issue was present on the original firmware and out-of-the-box SD package. The CFX was given updated firmware and most updated default package was written to the SD. The issue did not change.
    The blade does not appear to have an issue. When I use the blade with my PRISM 5.1 testing jig, the blade has proper scrolling effects and is the default red color.
    I have set up the TCSS neopixel PCBs to have a blade detection pin, FYI. This does not have continuity with any of the other lines (no accidental bridging).
    All other aspects of the saber work properly, including accent LEDs, sound, activation, kill switch, etc.

Root issue:
    I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Suspicion:
    Could this be an issue with the board itself?

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Sounds like you have a blown transistor. Take a close look at the 3? chips you have the Pixel negative's going to
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I'm not sure how to tell but if I were to guess I would say this one:
    The solder crept a little close for comfort here and it appears to have some damage to the casing. What do you think?

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Try not using that one and see what happens.. just clip the wire or unsolder it.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

That didn't work. The left two neg pads are connected with a jumper underneath, same with the right two pads. If I disconnect the left wire, or vice versa with the right, the issue persists. If it is transistors, then it must be one of each of those two pairs.

I had a second CFX and reinstalled it with another board. It works now, but I will have to send in the malfunctioning board for repair. Thank you for your help. It was helpful to know the problem was likely the board.