Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I may have messed up regarding chassis

Question I may have messed up regarding chassis

Hey, all!

I wanted to use a mix of TCSS chassis and a custom crystal chamber but I realized something...

I'm only using extension pieces with 1" ID.

Inked276986165_535813254637796_1388177416376131661_n_LI.jpg It's an older picture from the builder but it checks out. Had to invert some pieces because they looked better.

Question is... Is this salvageable or did I just build a shelf queen?
    “Do. Or do not. There is no try.” – Yoda

It's a pretty long hilt...you would have to be able to fit something in there. What board did you have in mind for this? What chassis solution? If it's TCSS Discs, you may very well be SOL, but if you're willing to pay for (or do your own) 3D Printed chassis, I'm sure there are options that would work.
    For Wisdom, look backward. For Hope, look forward. For Victory, look inward.

So I assume you are looking for something similar to this
    Captudafgfdagsdfgre.JPG

That is MHSv1, and has an ID of 1.15" on those parts specifically, were you wanting to do this with MHSv2? Also, salvageable in what way?

Now that I'm a bit more awake and actually fully comprehend what I have read. Going off what is there it might be possible for an experience smith to make a saber with visible chamber with those parts, would depend greatly on the electronics you would want to use and would most likely involve designing a chassis in a 3D modeling program like Fusion360 then 3D printed. But for a first time builder it would be a bit much to cram everything in there. If you want a more specific 'is it possible' answer to this question, I'd need to know what board you plan on using, what switch/s, and if you are planning on using this as an in-hilt or pixel saber.

Quote Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
    It's a pretty long hilt...you would have to be able to fit something in there. What board did you have in mind for this? What chassis solution? If it's TCSS Discs, you may very well be SOL, but if you're willing to pay for (or do your own) 3D Printed chassis, I'm sure there are options that would work.
    I was hoping to only fit the battery in the underside and a GHV3 in the top portion using discs.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenXp View Post
    Now that I'm a bit more awake and actually fully comprehend what I have read. Going off what is there it might be possible for an experience smith to make a saber with visible chamber with those parts, would depend greatly on the electronics you would want to use and would most likely involve designing a chassis in a 3D modeling program like Fusion360 then 3D printed. But for a first time builder it would be a bit much to cram everything in there. If you want a more specific 'is it possible' answer to this question, I'd need to know what board you plan on using, what switch/s, and if you are planning on using this as an in-hilt or pixel saber.
    The idea was a removable 18650 battery (hate recharging, prefer to swap out), have a CS, then a GHV3 on top.

CS would be a crystal inside a piece of hard plastic for protection and diffusion (force field effect too) with concentric acrylic rings so the tube could fit in, hide and then place screws holding it together... The button would be on the side of the CS with a micro switch on an acrylic slab with a piece of plastic on the outside to hide the wires and increase surface area. It would all work inside the windows of the middle section.

I may have bitten more than I can chew... Any trustworthy sabersmiths in the EU?

yeah, tbh I can tell you now that if you were to outsource this specific hilt design you would most likely get charged an arm and a leg for the commission. While I can see what you would want would technically be possible, it would for sure require several days of prototyping and 3D modeling for a custom chassis that fits your criteria (removable battery lower section with speaker, Fixed crystal chamber with switch locations in one of the windows, and GHv3 mounting as there are no specific acrylic discs to to this with at the moment). It would be a fairly advanced install, and this is also theoretical as well just based off what I know of the parts. I would need to sit down and actually do some measuring and prelim designing to know for sure if it's possible with an 18650. As for EU based smiths, can't help you there sadly. I'm more than willing to help guide you, but you would need to put in the design work yourself.

Might be faster responses if you join the TCSS Discord, lot more of us including myself are active there. https://discord.gg/aVnzyxZZ There are a couple other lightsaber discords as well, but won't link them here out of respect for the store, you can ask for them from me on the TCSS discord.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenXp View Post
    yeah, tbh I can tell you now that if you were to outsource this specific hilt design you would most likely get charged an arm and a leg for the commission. While I can see what you would want would technically be possible, it would for sure require several days of prototyping and 3D modeling for a custom chassis that fits your criteria (removable battery lower section with speaker, Fixed crystal chamber with switch locations in one of the windows, and GHv3 mounting as there are no specific acrylic discs to to this with at the moment). It would be a fairly advanced install, and this is also theoretical as well just based off what I know of the parts. I would need to sit down and actually do some measuring and prelim designing to know for sure if it's possible with an 18650. As for EU based smiths, can't help you there sadly. I'm more than willing to help guide you, but you would need to put in the design work yourself.
    Thanks. I dreally bit off more than my fair share.

I appreciate the help. I'll be spending the next couple of days thinking of what to do about this and pm if I go through with it.

I'll also join the discord.

One thing I noticed after deciding to take a digital caliper and do some measurements.

The inside is all, save for the end cap 1.15 inchs / 29.25cms.

Does this help my cause in anyway or am I still SOL?