Thread: Old string single color blade

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Old string single color blade

Hello, tcss forums members

My name is Doru and I'm living in Europe (Romania).
    I was about 7 or 8 years old when I first watch "A New Hope".
    And now, at almost 47 years, I finally start the process of building a dream of my childhood: my first lightsaber (at least I just bought some parts for now).
    Some MHS1 hilt parts, 1" pc tubes (one transparent, one transwhite), blade tips, tcss diffuser tube.
    And 2 cheap (about 18 USD/strip) WS2812B neopixel strips. Just in case.

I'd like to keep it simple, as close as screen is possible. I mean the light and sound effects, not screen-accuracy hilt.
    So I'm not interested in effects like sauron, rainbow, flame and such.

I will not use the saber for duelling. Just cossplay.

I would like to have the ignition/retraction scroll effect.
    Flash on clash, yes, that would be nice, too.
    Lock-up, blast, drag, melt...not really interested, anyway they are implemented in most soundcards now, as I understand.

Here comes the dilemma:
    I really like to build a simple, segmented string blade. Simple means single color, classic 5 mm.LEDs, not neopixel LEDs. So no second, white LEDs string (yeah, no white FoC in that case).
    Or I could build a neopixel strip blade.
    I've read a lot and change over and over my decision between neo 144 strips - in hilt tricree - classic string.
    Now 'm sure I don't want in-hilt LED.
    Anyway, there's something about the classic LED string blade that makes me to think "I really like to build one of that instead of a neo 144 string blade".

Problem is the soundboard and nowadays standards.
    The single soundcard found to support classic segmented strings is Proffie.
    I've read about Proffie, I watched some videos, still I'm not sure if Proffie + classic segmented strings can scroll up and down the blade.
    Some years ago there was the serriallel class connection and 7.2 v.for that kind of things.
    Now Proffie uses just a single, 3.7 battery and six segmented strings.
    I dont know almost anything about programming, nor about electronics.
    I mean I would not be able to put together a Teensy V1, for example, but I have no problem using a soldering gun with good enough results..

Other options is the Golden Harvest soundboard.

Price and my needs, I'm sure that 2 options (Proffie or Golden Harvest) are more than enough for me.

Problem is, Proffie support string segmented blade, but does not seems that user friendly. I've read a bit about on wiki, I watched some videos.
    It seems doable for a basic install and (default) configuration, but I'm not sure I will be able to manage even the easy tweeks if I would want to.
    On the other side, Golden Harvest seems to me easier and ready to go even out-of-the-box. But no scroll effect for a string blade, just like an in-hilt LED set-up.

I can't afford too expensive (read Adafruit) neopixel strips.
    Cheaper strips could have some problems.
    LED's seems to me more reliable in that respect. And seems least prone to shadowing, easier to diffuse, more battery-friendly compared to strips. Of course, there are cons, too about classic strings. Also, doesn't seems a big deal to me that a blade can't change the color (classing strings versus neopixel strips). Also I suppose string-blade option could easily become much expensive than neopixel blade if I decide I want more than one color blade.

So, decisions and decisions.

What to do?

Question is: does Proffie scroll up and down when segmented string blade is used?

All above it's more or less thinking out loud, because I guess nobody else but me can take the final decision.

But I hope you will clarify me if my assumptions are wrong.

Thank you for your patience and help.
    Last edited by Doru; 02-14-2022 at 01:03 PM.