Thread: RGB Tri-Cree disc question.

Default RGB Tri-Cree disc question.

Ok, waiting on my saber parts for an in hilt build and one of the items is a Tri-Cree RGB LED disc.
    How do I know what LED is what color for proper wiring to my sound board? Especially making sure I have the correct resistor to that color, since each of the three colors use different value resistors. Is there a test or a special marking or faint color to look for?
    Thanks for any help!

I normally use my bench supply.

You can use a 2AA battery holder an spout a paper towel over the LEDs, and touch the appropriate wires to the pads and you’ll know what color is which. I use to use colored sharpies to mark them. Red is obvious, it’s Blue and Green that you have to sort out.

You can use a Multimeter also, I believe you use the continuity function which will light the led up enough for you to see what it is.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Never thought about using my meter on continuity mode to give some voltage. Thanks for the tip! Saved me from rigging up a dual alkaline 2-cell, soldering, etc.
    My Fluke multi-meter prongs on continuity measured 2.4V measured with another multi-meter on DC.
    That should be enough current to at least determine color and mark the three color pads even if the glow is dim.
    Yes, red is a given. Blue & green might be tricky. Good tip also on putting a paper towel on top to see some color diffusion.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
    Never thought about using my meter on continuity mode to give some voltage. Thanks for the tip! Saved me from rigging up a dual alkaline 2-cell, soldering, etc.
    My Fluke multi-meter prongs on continuity measured 2.4V measured with another multi-meter on DC.
    That should be enough current to at least determine color and mark the three color pads even if the glow is dim.
    Yes, red is a given. Blue & green might be tricky. Good tip also on putting a paper towel on top to see some color diffusion.
    That’s more so you don’t accidentally blind yourself.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com