Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Whoa...

In all fairness Dan, I wasn't posting facts about anything that the scientific community doesn't know for certain. If you travel through time and not space, you will end up exactly where you started, but since the earth will continue moving during the time that you have skipped you will end up in the vacuum of space. This is not merely a theory. I could demonstrate the same principal using a train, or for that matter a bargraph. It has nothing to do with quantum physics, only with simple geometric observations. As for what Pockets has said, he's not merely talking about untestable hypothesis either. What he said does make a few presumptions about how wormholes work (presumptions which are supported by some in the scientific field, I might add) but he is still stating something that is fairly obvious. Humans aren't cut out for traveling in conditions considerably hotter or colder than room temperature, we can only survive at pressures approximating those on the surface of the earth, and high speeds will, as he pointed out, peel our skin clean off. It isn't much of a stretch to assume then that a hole in the fabric of reality might be a less hospitable place than, say, death valley antarctica or the line at the DMV. Do not assume that intelligent people cannot make intelligent observations about a phenomenon simply because they have never seen it.

And also, religion and philosophy have nothing to do with it.

Do I seem grumpy tonight? The wait for the new MHS pieces must be taking its toll... Cheers!

Well I don't know about this I would have to suspect that it is fake,.
    " I am a Jedi like my Father before Me"
    ----------------------------------------------------------

i dunno my logic is telling me no....but i guess its not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeRender
    In all fairness Dan, I wasn't posting facts about anything that the scientific community doesn't know for certain.
    (really? they know for certain? 10-20 years ago, what did scientists know for certain that is now debunked or thought of in a totally new way? Think of the impossible things that quantum physics is capable of making real. People can't even agree on global warming, but time travel, that's a lock...)

Do not assume that intelligent people cannot make intelligent observations about a phenomenon simply because they have never seen it.
    (observations without seeing or experiencing it...ok, intelligent assumptions maybe)

And also, religion and philosophy have nothing to do with it.
    (really? Depends greatly on your belief system on how the universe operates. Do you believe only in what our current civilization defines as science, or do you include mysticality. Is there a spiritual side to science?Does time run in a line with a definite past and future, or do many different timelines and realities exist next to each other each based on a separate series of choices and actions made by everyone living, essentially infinite planes an atom apart? Do time and space run separate from each other? How do we know for sure? I'm just saying that I really don't believe that anyone has it down exactly as it is. We may never know exactly how these things work, and that may be for the better.)

Do I seem grumpy tonight?
    (You always seem grumpy. But that's ok! Not trying to aggravate, just like to keep an open mind about everything. I run into way too many people who believe only in hard science and way too many people who believe only in their religious viewpoint on things like this. Focus only on one and you only get half the story.)
    "vibrations within vibrations, traveling at the speed of color"

"I've got a bad feeling about this..."

I have three major problems with this:

1:
    TimeRender's claim about time travel and whatnot seems correct. The only way it could work is if the wormhole or whatever took him into the future and was somehow rooted into the exact same position on Earth.
    Also, why was he still living in that same house 30-35 years later? Why was the kitchen cupboard door open? Why wasn't there anything more than a flash? Wouldn't a large amount of mass appearing in the same place as air molecules be a problem? (unless it just "switched" all the particles in that space)
    Oh, and how in the name of Primus did he get back?!?

2:
    He claimed to have his "mobile" (cellphone) with him, but that video was way too high-quality to be from anything but a very expensive and advanced cellphone. Oh, and why couldn't he bring something better like a newspaper back? Maybe some record of the near future? (anyone here seen Back to the Future Part II?)
    Oh yeah, and then there was that whole "I had to record it because i thought 'no one will believe me'", "I don't care if anyone believes me" thing. Kinda contradictory, there.

3:
    Why on Earth does the tattoo look amazingly fresh on both their arms? Heck, it looks newer on the old man's arm than the young one's. That just doesn't work.

4:
    This TOTALLY contradicts the zombie apocalypse of 2038.
    JK.
    TCSS Red Squadron - The most kickawesome fighting force in the Galaxy.

Which Blue Luxeon is movie-accurate? Find out here.

Yah, the tattoo does look very fresh on both of their arms. My big question is, Howd he get back? He never says. Did he crawl back through the sink or what? And yah why not grab a newspaper or at least take a picture of one.
    RED 7 Standing by...

Yes Dan, Scientists and mathematicians do know for certain that my claim is true, and as I promised I can demonstrate it. Suppose you have a train, which will represent the Earth, and a train track, which represents the paths along which the earth moves. Now let's suppose this train is moving northeast, where north represents the three spatial dimensions and east represents one temporal dimension. Now suppose you are on the train and decide to travel through time but not through space, in other words you jump off and run to the east but not to the north. Will you end up back on the train? No, you'll be in a field somewhere. Spatially speaking you will be exactly where you were when you left the train, i.e. your latitude has not changed. Temporally however your position has changed, in our example this is represented by your longitude. This isn't quantum physics Dan, this is gradeschool level geometry.

Now I'd rather not start an argument over religious beliefs, and honestly I wasn't arguing about the religious implications of time travel or quantum mechanics, but my point had absolutely nothing to do with time travel so its really a moot point. There are no great religious mysteries in question here, just basic geometry, and anyone whose religion tells them that one plus one equals three needs to seriously reevaluate his belief system.

There's a difference between having a closed mind and having a critical mind. I will believe anything that someone can point to and explain in a simple way. That is true open mindedness. However, I am not going to turn my brain off and ignore basic geometrical observations simple because we're talking about time travel. I'm not focusing on science to the point of ignoring mysticism, mysticism simply doesn't come into play.

I'd like to think that maybe you just misunderstood the point that I was making before, but I'd also like to think that my demonstration of the principal is clear enough that your opinion will be swayed. After all, there isn't really room for opinions in math.

Ha!
    That film is/was a swedish commercial!
    It's about as fake as it can get!
    Maybe you didn't hink of it, but they're speakin swedish in it, and sice I'm swedish so... (therefore my poor english...)

Sorry to crush your belive, but as the proffersor says: there is only theories, no facts.

btw, the two womens you see in the beginning is from another commercial,
    and the nice graphics in the intro was not in the original....
    The point of this is actually out to lunch.

This is a really funny thread.

Yes, it's perfectly plausible that one could just happen to find a wormhole under their kitchen sink.
    FSM FTW!