Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CFX soldering oops

Default CFX soldering oops

Hello from soggy Seattle.

I don't see a thread titled Asking For a Friend, so ...

This is for the Wise Ones Of the Forum.

My, er, friend accidentally bridged the Main negative pad to the metal USB housing on a CFX, and attempts to remove the bridge using copper braid and a solder syringe have failed. The solder has slumped into a difficult-to-reach spot close to the board. The plastic bits inside the micro-SD housing just below are at risk, and that region of the board itself is looking kinda toasty from the attempts at removal.

Two questions:
    1. I'm assuming this condition is fatal and the bridge must be removed. Is that correct?
    2. If it's fatal to board operation, any other suggestions as to a removal technique?

I'll post a pic if requested. Our power is out right now so it may be a while.

Thanks!

LOL. “A friend”, huh? I forwarded this to the top. I think I know the answer to that, but I’ll let him chime in to verify before I say anything. I’ll let you know when I hear back or maybe you’ll hear from the top directly.

Yeah, a good high quality close up will help. Top and bottom,
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 11-04-2021 at 12:53 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks, as always, FJK.
    I can always use this board as a practice piece, albeit an expensive one.

Yes, my imaginary friend makes mistakes often.
    I thought I made a mistake once. But I was wrong.

I'll post pics as soon as I have some good light.

Worst comes to worst, I’ll have Chewbacca get in touch if it needs fixing.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

That would be awesome, FJK!
    Above and beyond, as they say.

Here's a pic of the blob:

CFX oops
    Last edited by mrlemon; 11-05-2021 at 12:18 PM.

Ok, that doesn’t look TOO Bad. The easiest way to deal with that is to take your soldering iron, hopefully, it’s a nice fine tip, make sure it is completely clean and hot and try to “divide” that blob, leaving the solder on the actual pad, and whatever little is left on the SD card reader shouldn’t be too bad. Get the blob molten and then start at the interior board side of the blob and come straight out to the end, and draw away whatever solder you can in one fairly quick motion.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Thanks, FJK!
    I'll give it a try and report back.

Good news, if it’s just the one little blob you showed me, the Top says you’ll be fine.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Thanks, FJK, and thanks to Mr. Top, as well.
    This forum is awesome.

I can't wait for my friend to make another mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlemon View Post
    Thanks, FJK, and thanks to Mr. Top, as well.
    This forum is awesome.

I can't wait for my friend to make another mistake.
    Try not to make a habit of it, I can’t get always get Erv’ to respond right away. 😉
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines