Thread: Custom kylo battle saber

Born and raised in Alaska-currently in Louisville,Ky

Default Custom kylo battle saber

HELLO EVERYONE,GOOD TO BE BACK ON THE FORUMS AGAIN,TOOK A BREAK FROM THE HOBBY A FEW YEARS,BUT NOW I GOT THAT ITCH AGAIN!!!

IMG_20210809_175101.jpgIMG_20210809_174932.jpgIMG_20210809_175037.jpg
    So here's the story with this saber, I found it at my local flea market for $20.it was underneath a pile of old weed wackers and umbrellas the blade was bent it had muddy water in the side blades,mud caked up in the speaker grill this saber was put through the ringer. So I took it home, stripped it all down for what was left of it, the switch and slide piece for the switch were gone. No red wire running from the top center down to the pommel, missing the screw insert piece for the bottom of the pommel.JUST A MESS

1.jpgIMG_20200620_140911.jpgIMG_20210809_174908.jpg
    I stripped it all down and soaked every metal piece in acetone scrubbed all the old paint off of it to where it was just bare metal then I prime the metal with auto extend primer ( you know the rust inhibitor for cars and a spray can ), then I misted the entire hilt with a thin coat of truck bed liner, then followed up with an automotive satin finish. It's a good combo it sticks to the metal really well and does not come off on your hands, plus the texture of it looks really cool.

.IMG_20190906_132501.jpg

I wanted to make the blade as strong as I possibly could , I had a 3/4 thick wall blade, that purchased a 1 inch thick wall blade, then used a rubber mallet to slowly Hammer the 3/4 blade down into the 1-in thick wall blade it took a little time and some extra banging but it went all the way down to the bottom making it a quarter inch thick battle blade,so after sticking together the 6812 - 3535 pixel strips together I push the entire LED piece into hard plastic straws that I got from steak and shake, they're slightly transparent and stiff and four of them holds the strip nice and straight then wrapped it in two layers of invisible Scotch tape, then wrapped in two layers of thin foam from the FedEx store, I stuffed it inside of the three quarter thick wall blade then capped it with the pixel PCB, the blade alone weighs 25 oz, it is very heavy but it is very solid,the saber weighs almost 6 lb

IMG_20210809_175242.jpgIMG_20210809_175157.jpgIMG_20210809_175225.jpg

It is powered by a crystal focus x, you can see in the pics I installed a USB A connector to the top of the saber hilt, this is where the slide switch usually went but I managed to make a box that would house the USB A connector and the accent LED, and fit with a switch used to be so that it would look like it was part of the saber. It works fantastic for loading fonts and accessing the SD card.

The power cell in this unit is two lithium ion 18650-15a cells that were salvaged from a shark cordless vacuum cleaner, when I opened up the pack,there were eight 18650 15 amp batteries in the pack. I ran two parallel buried in the center of the hilt. Believe it or not I get 45 minutes of run time out of this saber before the crystal focus tells me my battery is critical.

This saber is the loudest I've ever heard and all my years of being in the hobby. I found some speakers that were 4 ohm 30 mm at 10 watts, it is deafening, I've gotten into a few arguments with my wife over the fact that it's so annoyingly loud, but I love it

It was a dirty and challenging, but a fun build I'm pretty happy with the results.

HERES A COUPLE OF VIDS WITH 2 OF MY ORIGINAL SOUND FONTS

LV-426 VIDEO LINK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRrloCIa9Z0
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DRACARYS VIDEO LINK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSRQ8C4zkaU

CHEERS

THE CONTINUATION OF SILENCE ON TCSS FORUMS----PRICELESS
    Last edited by mongo; 08-12-2021 at 07:13 PM.
    MONGO-[aka ALASKAN JEDI]

Nice work - I like how you did this paint job. That was interesting how you used truck bed liner.