Thread: Fiber optic blade?

Default Fiber optic blade?

Has anyone here tried a fiber optic blade? This would involve storing side glow cable into a polycarbonate tube and base lighting the cable.
    Last edited by MasterJarJar13; 08-20-2023 at 07:56 PM.

They’re used for light-whips. The problem is they are like a wet noodle - good for whips, bad for blades. Also, you have to base light them.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I found examples of fiber optic cable being stored inside a polycarbonate tube. Might that work?
    Last edited by MasterJarJar13; 08-20-2023 at 10:54 PM.

It might work, but not well.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

I recall someone here making a fiber optic blade by putting the fiber optics in a narrower diameter tube. Maybe use a more powerful LED?

Or…. you can just use technologies that have been proven to work.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

I saw a fiber optic blade in this video. It looks like something similar could work.
    Last edited by MasterJarJar13; 08-21-2023 at 05:22 PM.

I don’t think that looks good at all.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

I have to agree, it looks pretty bad compared to the other tech we have access to currently. It also would likely be much more expensive for the blade material that it would be for a standard PC tube we use for blades.

I built one waaay back in 2004 or 05 and used a piece of 14mm side glow fiber optic cable. It was lit by a Luxeon III led at the time, and was no brighter than the EL sabers that were popular back in those days. It also made the blade very heavy. It was a 3/4" polyC thin-wall and was a bit like a wet noodle.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.