Thread: How to attach a shroud

Default How to attach a shroud

Planning out my first saber build and I've been learning a lot from you guys! One thing I haven't been able to figure out is the best way to attach a shroud to my MHS blade holder (style 19). I figured the best way would be to use my blade retention screw. I was planning to place the shroud on my hilt and drill and tap for an 8-32 screw straight through both parts so that the holes would line up. Is this a good plan? I'm worried if I try to tap the holes separately then the threads won't line up correctly. Full disclosure, I've never tapped a hole before and I don't have a drill press - just going to place it in a vice and use a power drill and a tap wrench, like Madcow does in his video on blade retention screws... may the force be with me??

Welcome to the Forums!

Try drilling the hole in the shroud, but don’t tap it. I’d have the store drill and tap the blade retention screw hole for you.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks FJK!
    That makes sense I'll do that. Follow up question: I have a second shroud further down the hilt, on a smooth extension. How should I attach this one? In the example above I can see how the blade retention screw would hold that first shroud in place without tapping the hole because of the shape of the thumb screw, but this second shroud is down where I'll be holding the saber so a thumb screw would be more obtrusive. I was planning to use an 8-32 set screw, but should I try something else? Thanks again!

You’d likely need something like a small button head screw.

Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 07-01-2021 at 03:54 AM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Thanks - I would love to make a saber with that level of detail some day! So I will do the same with the second shroud - drill a hole but not tap it, and then hold it in place with a button head screw, and I'll have the shop tap the hole in the hilt for me.

Quote Originally Posted by landork View Post
    Thanks - I would love to make a saber with that level of detail some day! So I will do the same with the second shroud - drill a hole but not tap it, and then hold it in place with a button head screw, and I'll have the shop tap the hole in the hilt for me.
    Yeah, that saber was a bit of a challenge. It has a crystal chamber under the shroud, and on the underside an onboard CF LED bargraph. It’s pretty cool lit up.

TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines