Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Smooth Swing Fonts On NBv4??

Default Smooth Swing Fonts On NBv4??

Let me start by saying that I understand that the NBv4 does NOT have the SmoothSwing feature like the CFX. My question is, will a sound font optimized for CFX with smooth swing compatibility work with the NBv4? I'm wanting an Ahsoka font from The Mandalorian, and the only one I like that is optimized for CFX says it's designed to be used with SmoothSwing. I've read through the NBv4 manual, and while it says it's compatible with CF fonts, it doesn't mention anything about using a SmoothSwing font. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No, it won’t work on NB’s. The compatibility with CF is more for non smoothswing fonts.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks for the reply. Do the files have a different format or something that make them incompatible? I was hoping I could cherry pick the files I needed like the hum and swings. The font description and preview show that is has accent swings, and I was wondering if these could be used as my swing files on the NBv4. Alternatively, if anyone knows of a Mando S2 E5 Ahsoka font that WILL work on the NB, I would appreciate it if you'd point me in the right direction. As of yet, all I can find are smooth swing fonts.

Smoothswing files do have a different setup, it’s more how the card reads it IIRC.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

They have an entirely different theory of operation. The NB plays files sequentially, events trigger a new file to play. it's essentially an automated sound player. Smooth swing actively blends multiple sounds together based on the motion characteristics of the saber. The file counts and structure are totally different. The only thing they have in common is that they use wav files, because that's how the sounds are stored.

I see. Ok. Thank you for the info. Would anyone be able to point me to a source where I can find the wav files for her lightsaber in the series? I thought I might try my hand at making a font with the software recommended by plecter, but it doesn't say where to find the sound files...

Sorry, I meant sound files that aren't already used in a font. I'm an avid fan of saberfont.com. They just don't have any Mando Ahsoka fonts that aren't already formatted for smooth swing.

You have to make them with your own software. There isn't like an open source of just sounds you can use and then retweek. And I believe taking clips from the movies and modifying them is illegal, but someone with more knowledge than me would have to chime in on that.

Anything that is taking someone else's copyrighted work without permission is technically illegal. The question is more whether you get caught and they care to protect their copyright against your use by seeking legal action. For things like saber fonts, it possible could be argued that it's transformative. I'm not going to argue whether that would hold up in court, if it came to that, and nothing here should be considered legal advice.