Thread: Converting ROTS Anakin to ESB Luke

Default Converting ROTS Anakin to ESB Luke

I'm beginning the process of converting a FX ROTS Anakin to an approximation of an ESB Luke. One item I'm trying to figure out that I bet someone has done before is the D-ring to attach to the belt.

Inner circular section is the removable battery segment and speaker. The outer ring screws off to allow the battery compartment to be removed.

D ring mount covers speaker, and the D ring itself might prevent the hilt retaining ring to not be screwed off.

Same problem with this more narrow D ring. D ring mount covers speaker, and the D ring itself might prevent the hilt retaining ring to not be screwed off. Maybe I can affix the D ring mount to the retaining ring?

What have others done in the past to allow the battery compartment to be removed? As for the speaker, should I be drilling new holes for the sound to come out?
    Last edited by Kievan Mereel; 02-22-2021 at 03:30 PM.

The keyword you used is approximation, so I wouldn't stress too much on this part. I would just attach the d-ring and drill new holes for sound venting. As long as you are attaching the ring to the center unscrew able portion, it should still open fine to the battery parts.

Agreed it's an approximation. I'm not using a Kobold D ring. The issue is mostly that I can't just attach the D-rings provided by TCSS to the center speaker area, because they are larger than the center speaker, and interfere with the outer ring coming off.

I did some experimenting, and the long D-ring mount has a narrow ring, which can fit on the speaker, but the mount is too long. The short mount fits on the speaker, but the D-ring is too wide. I'm thinking of prying the mounts open and switching the rings, and then I'll have the narrow D-ring on the short mount, which will both fit on the speaker. The metal is stiff though! Will take some force.

I've also got worries that the speaker vent might not be strong enough to support the weight of the entire hilt, especially if I'm drilling more holes in it for sound to come out. I'll post how it goes.

[edit 2/25/2012]
    A flathead screwdriver and a rubber mallet gave me what I needed to pry open the D-ring mounts and swap the rings. Now I've got the small ring with the small mount and the large ring with the large mount.

The small ring and mount fits on the speaker and allows the retaining ring be removed. However, it covers the entirety of the speaker area. It might muffle the sound. I'm still concerned if the vented speaker mount area can support the weight of the hilt and the metal conversion piece.

The large ring on the long mount looks more like a Kobold mount, could be affixed/welded to the retaining ring strongly to hold the weight of the hilt, allow the battery to be changed by screwing off with the retaining ring, and exposes areas of the speaker that I can drill holes in for sound to come out. This addresses all issues, so it will be the method I'll implement. I don't know how to weld so I'll probably try some JBWeld and see if it holds.

Last edited by Kievan Mereel; 02-25-2021 at 01:32 PM. Reason: update with results