Thread: Darth Vaping ....

Default Darth Vaping ....

Hello All,

I bit of a NooB (and perhaps dumb) question here:

I've built several sabers with a variety of boards and have always gotten my batteries from TCSS. With that said, I am still learning when it come to Lipo batteries.

A friend of mine recently quit vaping and gave me 2 of his 3.7v 18650 that he says have barely been used.

They are "Black Cell" Proton 3.7v 3000mah 40A. My questions is, will these fry my CFX board (or any other for that matter) or my Neopixel/LEDs because of the 40A rating?

My apologizes if this is a dumb question, I couldn't find anything regarding this. Thanks in advance for your help

Proton battery 3.7.jpg
    “He's a friend from work.”

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Amps are drawn not pushed.. A circuit will use how many Amps it needs so if it only needs 2A it will only pull 2A. So this only really becomes a issue if you have a short so it pulls the full 40A. I have seen a lot of shorts from people wiring sabers though so I would be careful.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

That is rated for 40amps is a clear indication that it is not a protected cell. That means if there is a short it can easily cause a catastrophic battery failure. Sabers can get shorts from assembly issues, or things coming loose, or many other reasons. I strongly recommend against using unprotected cells.

They are definitely not protected batteries, so although they would absolutely work to power the saber, if there was an issue, there is nothing protecting your soundboard

Thanks so much everyone for all the input, you answered my question and it is greatly appreciated. Guess it's time to visit the TCSS store again

Hope y'all have a great evening
    “He's a friend from work.”