Thread: New Build won't charge

Default New Build won't charge

So I'm new to building lightsabers and just built my first one over the weekend. This is a pixelblade / proffieboard build with a recharge port and Sony 3.7v battery.

The build went well with minimal issues, but I cannot get the battery to charge. I have a 4.2V 2a Smart charger, but the light stays green when charging, but the battery gets no charge.

The voltage when charging is around 4.17v, but when I disconnect it the battery only has a .69v charge. Attached is the wiring diagram I used. I've tried to make the red wires exactly like how I have them.

I know that if I use a charge port plug the lightsaber it cuts off power, but if I turn the notched to disconnect the charging switch it turned on at first. Now the battery is so low I cannot even get a low battery message.

If I plug in a charger, I can turn the lightsaber on, but it doesn't charge.

[Screenshot_20201208-072012_Photos.jpg ]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Theowlhoohoot; 12-08-2020 at 06:28 AM.

If the orientation of picture you have is accurate(meaning the bat- pin is in the foreground), the recharge port is wired up incorrect. The pins should read, battery pack+/board+, battery-, and then board-. That's why when it is plugged in, the board is getting constant power and no recharge is happening

Quote Originally Posted by Light Bringer View Post
    If the orientation of picture you have is accurate(meaning the bat- pin is in the foreground), the recharge port is wired up incorrect. The pins should read, battery pack+/board+, battery-, and then board-. That's why when it is plugged in, the board is getting constant power and no recharge is happening
    First off, thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure I'm following, it's hard without a diagram.

I have the Battery + to the board battery +

The Battery - to the recharge switch Charge -

The Switch Port - to the board battery -

The switch Port + spliced into the + wire from battery to board.

Does that sound right?
    Last edited by Theowlhoohoot; 12-08-2020 at 11:08 AM.

I'm not sure why you scribbled the line and moved it, that is exactly equivalent.

When you plug in the charger the board should be disabled and not work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    I'm not sure why you scribbled the line and moved it, that is exactly equivalent.

When you plug in the charger the board should be disabled and not work at all.
    I wanted to show exactly how I had it wired from the picture in my phone. So would that be a sign of a bad charger port that is not isolating the loop? Obviously the current loop is not isolated to the battery when the charger hits that switch, but when I had the plastic plug it shut off power to the board so I'm not sure why that would be.

When the charger is unplugged the voltage from the battery is detected.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Theowlhoohoot; 12-08-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theowlhoohoot View Post
    First off, thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure I'm following, it's hard without a diagram.

I have the Battery + to the board battery +

The Battery - to the recharge switch Charge -

The Switch Port - to the board battery -

The switch Port + spliced into the + wire from battery to board.

Does that sound right?
    So what i meant, is when you hold the recharge port in your hand, you can hold it with the positive pin on the left or you can flip it over and have the positive pin on the right(not sure if that makes sense?) You original picture posted showed the positive pin being on the opposite side of where you had it wired.

So what i meant, is when you hold the recharge port in your hand, you can hold it with the positive pin on the left or you can flip it over and have the positive pin on the right(not sure if that makes sense?) You original picture posted showed the positive pin being on the opposite side of where you had it wired.
    The switch came prewired, with the wires colored. Figured out the issue after buying a multimeter. The recharge port middle port has to be wired to the battery - on the board. The recharge port - had to be wired to the battery -.

Every video I saw, I thought the did what I did but maybe not.

Yay! Hey, as long as we figured it out! Fix that wiring and let us know if it works

Yay! Hey, as long as we figured it out! Fix that wiring and let us know if it works
    Worked like a charm! Charged it half way before the kids got home and wanted to battle.