Thread: CFx with Neopixel turns on wont stay on

Default CFx with Neopixel turns on wont stay on

Howdy
    I'm testing new CFx with a new neopixel blade (just built). The board boots and starts the blade, but it turns off then reboots the board. I have fresh batteries, I'm thinking theres
    something in programing I missed. I do have the config set for the neopixel, my ledstrip is set to 116 the number of pixels I have

What kind of battery SPECIFICALLY are you using?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

using one of the trustfire 18650 from this store. fully charged. It does just fine. How do I know this? I broke down the work this morning to discover the switch I am using on the "+" lead between the battery and board may be faulty after taking that out I seem to have attained the desired goal.
    Now that I am back on track I'm trying to decide if using 22g wire (from the board to PCB hilt side) is going to be a true pain in the arse.

Quote Originally Posted by Noyl Wendor View Post
    using one of the trustfire 18650 from this store. fully charged. It does just fine. How do I know this? I broke down the work this morning to discover the switch I am using on the "+" lead between the battery and board may be faulty after taking that out I seem to have attained the desired goal.
    Now that I am back on track I'm trying to decide if using 22g wire (from the board to PCB hilt side) is going to be a true pain in the arse.
    The trustfire batteries that TCSS sell have a lower cutoff in their protection circuit. They are fine for tri crees, but not for neopixel sabers. You need a protected circuit battery, 18650 with a 15A cutoff. I think the trustfires might be a 5A cutoff. Dual neopixel strips require from 7-11 A depending upon color. So, when the blade draws more amps than the protection circuit in the trustfire can handle, it "trips". That is why saber reboots. Buy one of the Sony 15A batteries for your saber, and it won't do this anymore.

This is the battery you need: https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/J...ery-P1451.aspx

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Tilmon; 12-04-2020 at 11:38 AM.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Thanks Tom for the help, I should have been more specific. I used the trusfire just the once. The Solo's hold 15a was doing the work for the cf and neopixel most of the go. I can't say I'm overwhelmed by the neopixel set up, I will say its another way to do sabers/blades. But its not something I'll go for all the time.
    thanks again for the heads up and help

Neopixel definitely takes a couple times building it yourself to fully get the flow of it and find what works best for you. And of course it is all personal preference more than anything. I will say my neopixel is almost twice as bright as my normal tri cree, but i do still love the ease of the in hilt LED