Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ideas for Hiding Blade Holder Seam

Hey @Rennek ! I put together a little Proof-Of-Concept post over at TheRPF for you (I just now am seeing we can finally add images here, BLAST-IT!, when did that happen, oh well, that's too much to retype and reupload) about how I hide the seams (as best I can anyway)...

https://www.therpf.com/forums/thread...rennek.335742/

Hopefully this is what you were needing to see! If not, thank you for the inspiration to get me moving again on parts that have been sitting around unfinished for too long! Not that they're a finished piece or anything, they're just some randomly assembled TCSS parts for demonstration purposes only, that noone but you ever need pay any attention to: Waves hand.

Another option is to lightly sand down the end of the led holder so its shorter. But remember use fine wet sand paper and check the fit often. That way yiu get a tight fit with almost no gap in the hilt.

I also VERY much dislike highly visible "seams" between parts (esp on saber designs for Form V users *stares daggers at Luke's ROTJ though in fairness he didnt know at the time the Forms or that OWK's saber was specialized for Form III*) and try to avoid using too many parts in one design to reduce them. But chokes cant really avoid seams, 2 actually, and putting a shroud over chokes usually moots them functionally...so what to do?

Aesthetics is subjective so YMMV but personally I find seams most annoying when they are visible between identically finished parts. By using different finishes on adjoining parts the seam is not so much concealed from view as it is made less obviously a seam between parts and can appear more a finish's edge than a part's end. Powdercoating, anodizing, media blasting, mirror polish, weathering or plain ol paint, particularly textured ones, can all help in effect concealing a seam's nature rather than its presence.

Again of course YMMF but refinishing is another option to consider that doesn't change parts fitting, clocking or create internal gaps to rattle or need shims.

Thanks, everyone! Ridire, thank you for taking the time and effort into that proof of concept. It will be very helpful in the future. I actually kind of went the route Onli-Won suggested. I ordered another 2" connector, but this time I had the entire thing done with the square knurling. I think having the different finishes will hide the seam just fine. Thanks again everybody!