Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: LED Blasters -- need some help for BOP II!

Here are the pics: Remember that these are in a fully lit room. In fact, the photographer turned on additional lights to get the full detail. :P Oh, and as a cavaet, it is taped together just because it is easier to work on it that way then undoing 12 screws each time.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

SWEET!!!
    that is so awesome!

great work on that blaster mark
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

nice... thats all i have to say, and 3 3w reds. ouch that would be pretty blinding.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

Thanks for posting Mark....

Mark was "Toxac Miasmidor" in BOP I (the sort of creature-esque Sith dude who gets torn apart by Valaris Skyblade's dual sabers)... and also built his own Vader conversion saber for BOP I.

He also built Sariss Y'Aislyeen's saber--the jedi female character who is killed in BOP I.

He'll also be playing the role of an Imperial Admiral in BOP II... and did I mention he pretty much did the set design for BOP II??? ????

Mark's help has been ENORMOUS to BOP I & II, and for that I am quite grateful.

As to me changing my mind on blasters--definitely! I mean, it's hard to know what to go with... camera flash, or LED or both or whatever... the trick is making what is most EFFECTIVE... yet easy to repair and build. Not to mention it's nice if the things can cost $100 or less, heheh.

It would have been brighter to go with like 40 low-powered LEDs all over the place on the gun... but a wiring nightmare without a specially-made PCB... tons of coin... and a lot of patience to mount them...

~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Impressive, most impressive
    ;

Do-Clo Custom Sabers
    http://doclocustomsabers.com/
    Replica Prop Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar
    It would have been brighter to go with like 40 low-powered LEDs all over the place on the gun... but a wiring nightmare without a specially-made PCB... tons of coin... and a lot of patience to mount them...
    how about 1 luxeon & fiberoptics everywhere you need it?
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

Mark, how about a diag for the circuit?
    I have a guy I work with looking at doing some small light effects when he's DJ'ing.

I showed him your pics & he reckons that would be ideal to compliment his main set lights.
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Here's the wiring diagram:

Basically, it is just a series of LEDs wired in parallel with a resistor at the start of the circuit so that I don't fry them too quickly. If this is going to be something that is used over some time, I'd suggest actually getting one of the power regulators such as the buck puck 700ma version as it will keep the power nice and even. For something as quick as a trigger pull, I didn't bother.

I have found that by creating new circuits, you can have more "strings" of LED's in parallel off of the same power source without any degredation in the power of the signal. However, for each circuit, you'd need another resistor/regulator.

In case someone doesn't know what in parallel means, it means simply connecting all of the positive leads of the LED's to the positive of the power source and all of the negatives to the negative of the power source. However, with the LEDs, you don't need an individual wire from each LED to the power source - you can connect a positive from one LED to the positive to the next and so on. If you look at the unlit close up picture, you can see how I did this.

Note that the more LED's you put in parallel, the dimmer the light will become for all of them, so you'll need to step up the voltage. For the gun, I found that 6 volts didn't give me the intensity that was needed but 9 does just fine. I could probably push it a bit more but since I am using a rather rudimentary way to keep the wattage in check, I figured I shouldn't risk it.

Don't forget--what Mark and I are doing with these... is on a limited budget (wait, there *IS* no budget, this comes out of Nova's POCKETS and some of Mark's too!!! D'OHHHH!!!!!)

Anyhow...

If I wanted to do it "right", we'd go uber-nuts and mount as many LEDs as we could, give it something like 12v... buckpuck/toot it or what not... use different circuits (maybe for EACH led)... add SOUND... add camera flash... etc.

But that would be about $1000 per blaster. Ahem. Let's not and say we did.

Mark has made a VERY sweet solution--with very little to work with. As it is... we still don't have the remaining physical blasters yet because finding them in "walk into" stores has proved unnervingly impossible. So we had to buy online. Takes weeks to get here...

I just hope there's enough time for testing since we need to be sure that they don't break...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide