Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LED Blasters -- need some help for BOP II!

Hi super... that's a good idea... I think Mark (my designer) was talking about something like this.

The idea behind the thread IS to get criticism and ideas, but yeah I am going to try shooting things full of holes (so-to-speak) to make sure we really get it right.

To be honest, I guess I should have been more clear that it is not so much the switch or mounting of the LEDs I'm concerned with...

...it's the BATTERY setup. In other words, would it work, would it produce a dim amount of light, not have enough power, etc. etc. etc.

But this is why I'm trying to get thoughts on the blasters. I'm not a wiring expert--I'm just a choreography dude who's learned a TINY bit about wiring over the past year.

Mark seems to have tons of confidence in the project, but as always I'm trying to cover all bases to ensure the products will behave as wanted.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

if that is your primary concern, you should certainly look into a buckpuck, it gives you the mA as long as you supply adequate current, at least that is what i would do, you might PM DoClo, he had done quite a bit with pucks and could give you further details
    FSM What's on your belt?

SuperT--that is also a very good idea...

I was just talking with DoClo on something else, so that would be cool probably.

Mark was thinking about using a driver as well, and I think he meant pucks also. I'll ask him and double-confirm with Do Clo.

This is basically what it's all about. Confirming if any of my ideas are TOTALLY bonkers, or if--yes indeed it is possible. It appears it's quite possible to do this 8 Luxeon setup... even though it is NOT meant to light up and stay on for extended periods of time...

...what "blaster" prop would WANT that, anyhow?
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

just a thought, you can pick up a paintball electronic trigger that has a variable speed setting that will get you that full, semi, 3 round burst firing setting?

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/tech...er/index.shtml
    If it ain't burning I didn't do it!
    Card carrying member of the FSM!

Ooo... good one ravage! That's a good idea... thanks! I will pass that on to my designer and see if it will help him more.

We had our prototype blaster at rehearsal today... it was pretty cool! And very bright. Still, it had some issues... but worked well for a proto.

We'll see what the next few weeks entail with the blasters.

no prob nova jus make sure you post lots of pics when its done!
    If it ain't burning I didn't do it!
    Card carrying member of the FSM!

Certainly... will do. Photos are always nice, and I only hope it helps others do similar things.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

could ya also post a video closeup of the blaster in action for us nova?
    me want to see this bad boy
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

That is also a good suggestion, LMaul... copy that, will do.

As for now, I've got to work on the soundplot a bit more, post rehearsal video for my cast (and for others to view in a short while)... work on my Plecter saber for C4... and pray my knee injury gets better very quickly so that I can complete training for my acrobatics.

If I mess up ANYTHING acrobatic-wise... that will likely be the end of my knee forever. So please... if you like BOP...

THINK HAPPY THOUGHTS FOR NOVASTAR!

As Han said:

"Good luck... (pause)... yer gonna need it!"

Hello everyone,

I am the guy who has had the "privledge" of constructing the blaster prototype for Novastar. It seems as if everytime I get it done, he has yet another suggestion/change to make. But since I have a degree in theater, I'm used to the "director's mind" as it were.

What had originally started out as only 4 LED's has turned into the final 8. I will actually be designing each blaster uniquely as we have no two identical blaster bodies. The first one is all but finished and I'll be happy to post some pics of it later today.

The original body is a toy clone trooper gun that could have a can of silly string inserted into the barrel and used that way. However, these have been recalled due to the fire hazard that silly string poses. The good news is that it allowed me to put all of the electronics into a piece of black PVC piping and simply insert it into the same space.

The wiring has 6 Red III's in parallel (three on a side) on one circuit. A second circuit has two white K2's wired onto it - one facing out the barrel and the other facing back inside of the barrel. The second one was an attempt to create a 'muzzle flash' inside of the barrel itself but didn't go over too well. Both circuits run from a single power source and each has a 3 watt resistor.

I am running 9 volts through the system as it was the battery pack I had available to me at the time and since it works so well, I figured I'd just keep it. As for the trigger, I simply modified the trigger already in the gun by adding a piece of metal to the moving trigger part and a spring to contact it when it is pulled, thereby completing the circuit.

The result is that we have a very bright gun. I can see the light bounce off of an indoor wall 30 feet away during daylight hours. If you happen to be looking at the side of the gun within 10-15 feet when the trigger is pulled, you will see spots. The barrel light doesn't seem to blind the actors due to the distance and the fact that the gun is aimed at their chests and not their heads.

For the character of the Imperial officer who has a blaster pistol, I will actually be mounting one of the blade holder kits to a pistol and using that as the main flash system.