Thread: i think i fried my amp.

Board Lurker

Default i think i fried my amp.

i just wired up my nbv4.1 and i stupidly connected the battery backwards. pretty sure i fried the amp. no sound at all. problem is, i dont know which part is the amp, i dont know how to go about getting a new one or this fixed and i need this for halloween. please help.

The amp is the 8 pin chip near the speaker pads. It's a pretty standard component. There are a number of other things that could also have been zapped, does the saber light up and everything? Reverse polarity also probably zapped the SD card.

Board Lurker

yes. it still lights, flashes etc. i will test the card once i can but it does read in the computer.

You can send a PM to Zook, who handles repairs in the US. He would let you know how much it would cost to get repaired. However, I doubt that he could get it turned around by Halloween.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Board Lurker

zooks inbox is full. cant pm him. any other suggestions?

He goes by Chewbacca on Fx-Sabers. Try him there.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

If you ask Erv on FX he might tell you what the replacement part is. I'm pretty sure it's a common component, but zook/chewbacca or Erv would know for sure. If it's the same as on the V3 (looks similar) it is a TPA0211DGN, which is readily available at major distributors.

If you aren't experienced in this kind of work, then repairing it yourself is not recommended. The part is very small, and their is a large heatsink pad on the bottom of the package. In order to remove it, you will almost certainly get it hot enough to loosen the nearby components.