I'm not sure this is the right place for that topic, maybe a mod will move it.

I've often be asked about "how to learn electronics". Every story has a beginning, mine started at age of 8 or 10 then I was lucky to be trained by a 65 years old Electronics Master, retired from the national electricity compagny in France, teaching on saturdays in an electronic club.

I went to the books "late". But when I was like 12 or 14, I found a very good book. Several books from the same author, actually. Found by accident when radioshack was still in France.

New editions, with new format, but all the same quality
Electronic Formulas, Symbols & Circuits (Paperback)
by Forrest M. Mims III (Author)

search for this author on amazon.com. Inexpensive books, great learning and very funny inside : looks like a scrapbook with hand written notes.
Other books from the same author :

* The Forrest Mims Circuit Scrapbook by Forrest Mims
* Getting Started in Electronics by Forrest M. Mims III
* Timer, Op Amp, and Optoelectronic Circuits & Projects by Forrest M. Mims III
* Electronic Sensor Circuits & Projects by Forrest M., III Mims

Might be your next valentine's day present (When I went to Brown University 10 days ago, I showed the student my cold heat battery powered soldering iron and said it would be a cool valentine's day present... then a girl said that SHE got one for valentine's day ! )

you can browse the books on amazon, for some of them. I hope it will be useful to some of you who have wished to understand voltage/current/resistance/power, or if a "serie circuit" sounds like a "tv soap marathon", get those books and read them, you'll like it ! It's simply written, well explained, good schematics and drawings...
Nothing like the techy crap I might have posted here

Erv'