Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Learning electronic basics

Default Learning electronic basics

I'm not sure this is the right place for that topic, maybe a mod will move it.

I've often be asked about "how to learn electronics". Every story has a beginning, mine started at age of 8 or 10 then I was lucky to be trained by a 65 years old Electronics Master, retired from the national electricity compagny in France, teaching on saturdays in an electronic club.

I went to the books "late". But when I was like 12 or 14, I found a very good book. Several books from the same author, actually. Found by accident when radioshack was still in France.

New editions, with new format, but all the same quality
    Electronic Formulas, Symbols & Circuits (Paperback)
    by Forrest M. Mims III (Author)

search for this author on amazon.com. Inexpensive books, great learning and very funny inside : looks like a scrapbook with hand written notes.
    Other books from the same author :

* The Forrest Mims Circuit Scrapbook by Forrest Mims
    * Getting Started in Electronics by Forrest M. Mims III
    * Timer, Op Amp, and Optoelectronic Circuits & Projects by Forrest M. Mims III
    * Electronic Sensor Circuits & Projects by Forrest M., III Mims

Might be your next valentine's day present (When I went to Brown University 10 days ago, I showed the student my cold heat battery powered soldering iron and said it would be a cool valentine's day present... then a girl said that SHE got one for valentine's day ! )

you can browse the books on amazon, for some of them. I hope it will be useful to some of you who have wished to understand voltage/current/resistance/power, or if a "serie circuit" sounds like a "tv soap marathon", get those books and read them, you'll like it ! It's simply written, well explained, good schematics and drawings...
    Nothing like the techy crap I might have posted here

Erv'
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

Great information Erv! And good to know you started when you were REALLY young...

...now I don't feel so bad when I tell people I only learned to solder about a year ago. After all, at this point, I can only wire up very basic things.

Fortunately, for most sabers--that's all you need know... and then we just buy the buttered toast for more fun!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Ahh i remember well when i started. Twas a babe at the age of 6 when my older brother (a TV / Video Tech) bought me my first Funway into electronics kit from **** Smith Electronics way back in 1980 (oops letting yall know my age ) back when it was all hook up wires and screws on wooden boards. Twas fun. Then came solder practice in the form of the Soldering Pyramid. and my excursions into Funway 2 and 3. after leaving school i aprenticed with him and spent 15 years Servicing TV's and VCR's etc. Valuable things were learnt.

If you have access to the **** Smith Funway books and Kits.. i Highly recommend them as a learning aid.

I made a video tutorial to soldering, as promised.
    Here is the link on my website :
    Video guide to soldering

and here is the link to the youtube video :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOdnGUMi7lQ

I hope you'll find that usefull !
    Erv'
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by erv
    I made a video tutorial to soldering, as promised.
    Here is the link on my website :
    Video guide to soldering

and here is the link to the youtube video :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOdnGUMi7lQ

I hope you'll find that usefull !
    Erv'
    Thanks Erv, for your vids, very helpful, i always can improve my soldering skills

Hi all I'm new to the forum. I have a bachelor's degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering and Electronics has been my hobby since I was 13. I used to be a electronics technician as well working for Sears fixing TVs, Stereos, Camcorders etc before I went on to Computer programming. If theres anything I can help anyone with I'll be happy to assist.

I just recently joined a Lightsaber combat/cosplay group and decided to get a saber. I managed to pick up a MR Joe Jedi Kit and am already thinking about converting it to be tri-lux rebel driven. I'm going to experiment with the color possibilities and that funny 25 degree lens they got.

Welcome Moon... this is probably the wrong thread to post that sort of message on (you might get more responses from people if you do this on the "welcoming" one??)... but that's cool just the same.

As it is, I was going to post the CF wiring guide here, since it's semi-relevant:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=KR9r_lGYGoQ

As to that 25 degree lens for Rebels... I'd steer clear of it--it's not very useful, since it's way too wide of an angle for the best light benefit given our purposes. Usually, nothing short of 10 degrees will give good results. I've even tried a 3 degree lens before (with a K2) and it wasn't very good, so... I'm not sure what kinds of optics would really be better (and/or equally/less expensive) than the ones that are currently out there.

Converting the 616 should be a piece o' cake for you though! Only a very few wires, but... you know what? Another good link to post (even for newbies):

Grayven's 616 teardown & mod tutorial

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vV_9bTS0zlk
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Dont be hard on yourself Nova, you seem to know alot.
    "aaah... general kenobi.... you are a bold one."-general grievous

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Qymaen_jai_sheelal

Proud owner of the first two Darth Maul conversion kits! Thanks Tim!

thanks, Erv! Been looking for a good starter book. Just ordered it from amazon.
    "You've failed, Your Highness. I am a JEDI, like my father before me..."

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

I realize this thread hasn't been posted to in some time, but I figured I'd post this here because a) it's a sticky thread, and b) it might help some electronics newbies (such as myself).

I was looking for some information, and came across this page, where you can download six free ebooks(!) on the subject. I can't yet vouch for the quality of the books, as I just found them, but at first glance they seem pretty comprehensive.