Thread: Adding sound to an old build with pommel switch

Default Adding sound to an old build with pommel switch

I built this lightsaber in 2012 from TCSS parts, I was going for affordability and ergonomics and I love the way it turned out, though it has no sound. Unfortunately I didn't do a great job soldering, and it stopped working after a while because of the stress put on the internals by unscrewing the pommel since that's where the switch is. I've been gifted a $100 TCSS gift card and I'd love to add a CFX to this saber. Is this going to be reasonably possible with a single activation button in the pommel? Getting the wiring past the speaker seems like a pain, as well as unscrewing the pommel to take the saber apart without twisting up all the wires. Also, there's not currently anywhere for sound to actually emit from the saber. Any tips for this? Or should I save up and build a totally new saber?

PXL_20201013_235855000.jpgPXL_20201013_235917599.jpg

if you use a chassis that holds the switch and pommel cap in place, the grip can removed from around everything else.

as far as wiring past the speaker, it will be easier with a smaller speaker, but doable with any 28mm speaker. The simplest way is to cut cut channels an existing piece.

It would be pretty difficult to pull this off well without a chassis. The next best solution would be to use wire connectors and give yourself enough slack to twist them in, although that will introduce a lot of stress and potential breaking and shorts. This isn't really ideal if you plan on opening up the saber regularly.

It would really aid you to redesign a bit and put the switch somewhere else. I know it throws a link in the plans a bit, but realistically even if you can solve the wiring past the speaker issue, there isn't any point of installing the CFX if you can't hear it. It would be better in the long run to change it up a little

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    if you use a chassis that holds the switch and pommel cap in place, the grip can removed from around everything else.

as far as wiring past the speaker, it will be easier with a smaller speaker, but doable with any 28mm speaker. The simplest way is to cut cut channels an existing piece.

It would be pretty difficult to pull this off well without a chassis. The next best solution would be to use wire connectors and give yourself enough slack to twist them in, although that will introduce a lot of stress and potential breaking and shorts. This isn't really ideal if you plan on opening up the saber regularly.
    A chassis that holds the switch and pommel cap sounds incredible, that might be something to consider. But for now, I think I'm going to build a new saber. Thanks for the pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Bringer View Post
    It would really aid you to redesign a bit and put the switch somewhere else. I know it throws a link in the plans a bit, but realistically even if you can solve the wiring past the speaker issue, there isn't any point of installing the CFX if you can't hear it. It would be better in the long run to change it up a little
    you'd hear it just fine. Depending on what pommel/cap you use, a pommel with a switch in it might have more air exchange than one without. One of my first sabers had both the recharge port and a pixel on the other side of the speaker. It's totally doable and the sound was fine.

Oh for sure, it can depend on the build. Your setup might have been just fine. I just felt looking at the pictures of the saber setup he had, that the end result would not be satisfactory for the time and money spent on the parts and build

An option would be to have TCSS cut a hole in your grip section for the 16mm flat bezel, and you could put your switch there. That way you wouldn’t have to start from scratch. TCSS can line it up with your retention screw in the blade holder, or do any other angle in relation to it.

Here’s the bezel:
    https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/F...hes-P1170.aspx
    The shop part has some pictures of what it would look like.