Thread: CFX voltage problem

Default CFX voltage problem

Hello all
    I finished the CFX install about two weeks ago and everything worked great. I started to use different profiles and the board started to act strange. It would not start up or would start up on its own. I made sure battery was charged and reinstalled firmware and fresh sd package. The board boots up ok but does not react to activation or auxilliary buttons. I did a voltage check on the board related to the manual and some readings are definitely out. Main switch is under 1vdc and aux. switch I also below 3.3vdc. Just to the side of the motion sensor are what looks like two resistors. The one on the left should read 14vdc but I am only getting 8.86vdc. Would someone please shed some light on this problem on how to get my board working again.
    Thanks

In the CFX manual there is a voltage check schematic. The pad just below and to the left of the motion sensor states 14v. However Erv just told me that value is actually 8.8v and will be updated in the new manual version 1.08. I am getting 8.86v so that is ok. So the problem I have are the main and auxilliary switch pads which according to the manual are supposed to be 3.3v. My aux. is 2.75v and the main switch pad .61v. The board boots up but is non responsive to both switches. I am only using a 18650 high discharge battery.

Last night I desoldered the switch and ground wires. Cleaned up the pads with solder wick and checked the wires going to the switches. They look good. Also checked switches for momentary continuity. Solder everything back up and move positive wire for blade away from switch wires. Replaced the sd card and pulled the kill key. The board boots up and everything works great, I’ve really happy at this point. Then I plug the blade in and ignite it. The board locks up again and the blade reacts and extends by itself a few times and then does nothing. Any ideas on this behaviour?

Quote Originally Posted by Mech63 View Post
    Last night I desoldered the switch and ground wires. Cleaned up the pads with solder wick and checked the wires going to the switches. They look good. Also checked switches for momentary continuity. Solder everything back up and move positive wire for blade away from switch wires. Replaced the sd card and pulled the kill key. The board boots up and everything works great, I’ve really happy at this point. Then I plug the blade in and ignite it. The board locks up again and the blade reacts and extends by itself a few times and then does nothing. Any ideas on this behaviour?
    What battery are you using??
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

18650/15 amp high discharge. It worked fine in beginning after wiring everything up.

I have just tried the board out again after charging battery even though it was at 4.08v. Pulled the killkey and it booted up fine and cycled through the fonts no problem. After a bit the board would not respond to the buttons. Put the killkey in and remove. The board boots up into the last sound font and ignites, retracts several times by itself, does not respond to buttons. Put the killkey in again and remove, same thing happens. I have removed both switch wires and the grounds. I am going to format the sd card and start over. I do not have blade the plugged in yet, however it worked after the initial wiring. Anyone have any ideas, I’ll try anything at this point.

Last night I removed the switch wires and ground for the switches. I used a jumper to go from act. to ground and aux. to ground. With the blade plugged in everything works great. I will replace all the wiring and switches and try again.