Thread: Best AV Switch power connection pad on NB4?

Default Best AV Switch power connection pad on NB4?

A student of mine asked me if the best power connection on the NB4 for a 16mm AV w/LED, is the Deep Sleep pad (NB4 Manual, p. 16), as opposed to the 3.3V pad (NB4 Manual, p.15).

I said the Deep Sleep pad, but wanted to check with the wise men.

Will that work best?

Thanks!

That depends if you want the switch be on only when the blade is on, or stay on after the blade is off, till the deep sleep timer expires.

Thanks, Darkmatter73!

We only want the LED in the AV switch to be on when the blade is on.

But we're not clear on how to interpret the parameters in the manual.

The 3.3V pad (NB4 Manual, p.15) is recommended only if "the saber is equipped with a main power switch (more likely a recharge port with a killkey) ...."
    My student plans on using a 16mm AV switch and a recharge port, so I assume the AV switch satisfies the role of a main power switch.

Is that a correct assumption?

He also plans to use an internal recharge port (using the acrylic chassis disk for a recharge port), but to leave out the killkey to prevent opening the pommel every time he wants to turn on the saber.

Would that choice satisfy using a "...recharge port with a killkey?"

I guess I could also reconfigure the deep parameter in the config file, too, to save power and shorten the time to deep sleep.

What's your opinion on which pad to use?

Thanks for the help, and best regards!

-Mike

See my replies in RED.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlemon View Post
    Thanks, Darkmatter73!

We only want the LED in the AV switch to be on when the blade is on.

But we're not clear on how to interpret the parameters in the manual.

The 3.3V pad (NB4 Manual, p.15) is recommended only if "the saber is equipped with a main power switch (more likely a recharge port with a killkey) ...."
    My student plans on using a 16mm AV switch and a recharge port, so I assume the AV switch satisfies the role of a main power switch.

Is that a correct assumption?

Yes.

He also plans to use an internal recharge port (using the acrylic chassis disk for a recharge port), but to leave out the killkey to prevent opening the pommel every time he wants to turn on the saber.

Would that choice satisfy using a "...recharge port with a killkey?"

Yes, but the battery will eventually drain.

I guess I could also reconfigure the deep parameter in the config file, too, to save power and shorten the time to deep sleep.

What's your opinion on which pad to use?

For the scenario you’re describing, you would want to wire the switch’s LED in parallel with the main LED. This way it goes on when the main LED is on.

Thanks for the help, and best regards!

-Mike

Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 09-01-2020 at 01:37 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks, FJK!
    But does that mean he should use the Deep Sleep pad, or the 3.3V pad?

Quote Originally Posted by mrlemon View Post
    Thanks, FJK!
    But does that mean he should use the Deep Sleep pad, or the 3.3V pad?
    Neither. He wires the LED part in parallel with the main LED (with the proper resistor).
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Makes sense.

Thanks, as always!