Thread: is my wiring right?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Board Lurker

Default is my wiring right?

I finally have all my parts (Except for my PEx and resistors which are shipping) and started to try to think how everything will fit in my hilt which lead to me making this diagram. I'm using a NBv4 with an RGB tricree and I want to include a crystal chamber (yes, I know that's a little ambitious) I was trying to figure out how to wire it up and thought to wire the crystal chamber and tricree in parallel. does this wiring look right?

IMG_1780.jpg

also I know this isn't really a parts list, but I'm not sure where else to put it and it seemed like a similar topic

I think a lot of people like to psych people out of the crystal chamber, but I don't see why. I'm sure you can do it.

As far as I can tell the diagram looks fine. You should have resistors on all of the LEDs, and parallel wiring is correct.

The picture looks pretty good at a quick glance, but I would say make sure you have the manual downloaded and go by that diagram, because it can be easy to mix things sometimes looking at hand drawn pics. Also make sure you calculating the crystal chamber resistors using the full 3.7-4.2V rather than 3.3V that you might use on other builds. And although the blue and green LEDs are usually fine without resistors, it's a good habit to put a small one like a .5ohm on it because the rated forward voltages are not always accurate. If you have any other questions, let us know!
    Last edited by Light Bringer; 08-28-2020 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Bringer View Post
    And although the blue and green LEDs are usually fine without resistors, it's a good habit to put a small one like a .5ohm on it because the rated forward voltages are not always accurate. If you have any other questions, let us know!
    Even if the rated forward voltages are accurate, the green will operate at around 2A at 4+v. While communal experience will say that it will survive, it's still not ideal. The old "wisdom" that the battery will drop under load may be true for older, or less robustly rated batteries, it is not true for the kinds typically in use these days. Consistent color mixing and run time will be improved if the resistors are properly sized. I know plenty of people will argue about this, but I would venture that they do so purely anecdotally, and not experimentally. I've done a great deal of experimentation working on developing new products, and custom electronics for others. The data tells a clear story.