Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: I Think that I've got it!!My lightsaber is done!!

thanks guys for the kind words and no to your question jedi master and this was not tim's fault it was mine!!You have to mill this holder to a 1.349 or maybe buy tim's holder that is a 1.29 !!I've learned my lession on this one;and;I was lucky to have people at my work place that milled it for me!!

Nice work DaJoQuim!

I actually had thought you'd wired up your own before... am I wrong? If I am, fantastic--it's always great to tackle sound, cool hilt, recharge, and all that for a first saber and a lot of experience!

As to milling/grinding parts--as far as I know, I've almost always found that the case when building a saber. Being creative and customizing things is part of building sabers.

I've rarely had a design plan go exactly the way I wanted it to go. There were always snags, errors, sizing problems, wiring issues and all that.

The only exception is (strangely) the FIRST saber I ever wired up, which was a Vader conversion with TCSS mount/LED and stripping down the hilt to make a good staged combat saber... including ripping off the switch box to install a recessed latching switch.

I didn't know how to solder at that point (about a year ago), and all I did was strip wires, twist 'em, and tape them up. It had to be done, otherwise we would not have had enough sabers for BOP I...

...the saber has STILL yet to fail even once, lol! (knock on wood)
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I've rarely had a design plan go exactly the way I wanted it to go. There were always snags, errors, sizing problems, wiring issues and all that.
    i know what ya mean. for my MHS, i was expecting to be swimming in room, but i'm gonna be lucky to get it all in there i will have a millimeter of leftover space i bet
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

im going to get my middle piece custom made for that very reason. i hope it works out.

thanks for the kind words guys and yes novastar It's my first wire -up job on a lightsaber;and;at 47 years old I'm having a blast doing this!!My friends at work say that they can't believe that I made my hilt from a mag-light shell!!

Hey, kudos DaJoQuim... size matters not. Age matters not.

Besides, 5 years ago--the Luxeon technology was not really all that nifty for sabers. Now... well, that's a different story.

This is one reason why I waited quite a bit before doing Balance of Power. The idea itself was "born" WELL before Episode II or III. But I only started to think about it when I had the funding, choreography in mind... and then I finally learned about light sabers in general.

I didn't even know about Force FX sabers until something like 2002. Barely though.

Now watch out--saber making is ADDICTIVE!!! You'll be making #2 soon enough.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

Yes I know all to well about doing another one due to the fact that I've bought an empty luke rotj hilt and I'm making this my own!!Anyway It's fun to me just putting one together!!This time novastar I know what to not to do lol!!

You'll have that thinking more and more, believe me!

After wiring up like 7 or 8 sabers at this point (and repairing nearly EACH and every other one I've bought), I learn something new every time.

Some good thoughts:

1. Lay out your wiring AHEAD of time.
    2. Lay out your hilt parts just above that wiring so that you can see the conceivable space available.
    3. Most importantly, ensure that you have at least one or two "easy disconnects" of some kind (most likely for the speaker and LED.

That is how I'm trying to do it from now on...

May I ask you a question?What in the world is the best way to make the wires tight;so;they will not slip out?I've read heat srink;but;is that how you do it?I'm trying to learn something new from you!!Thanks

Council Member
    Sith Lord

heatshrink is the best. what you do is.

1)BEFORE soldering, slide a bit of it over one of the wires
    2)solder the wires
    3)slide the heatshrink over the soldered joint
    4)use either a heat gun or what i use, a butane cigar lighter. if you use a lighter, be sure to keep the flame away from the heatshrink, or it will burn
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!