Thread: Nimbus by Yoshi-Taka

Default Nimbus by Yoshi-Taka

Has it really been almost 4 years since my last build? Wow...

I'll keep this short: a lot of crap has happened this year and a lot has yet to happen. My father died about 3 months ago, I'm getting married in just under 3 more months, and my choices in style for lightsabers has changed significantly. So I figured I'd change my personal saber one last time. I'm still a big fan of that black cloth tape that I've been using but I wanted it to cover my entire grip. And the chokes don't feel comfortable anymore. So I decided "screw it! Katana style, homage to best girl Qui-Gon Jinn!" It also helps that now Cree does single-die cyan LEDs (my favorite color). And if you're curious, the rolls of cloth wrap I use are 10' long, and I barely had enough to wrap the entire hilt (6" main body + 3.7" extension).

It's rocking a Nano Biscotte version 2 or 3 (can't remember which), and uses the sound fonts Vader OT and TOR Tranquility. No video because I don't have the space for it anymore.

Also the pictures are waaaaay too big to post directly to the forum from Imgur, so this entire sentence is a direct link to an Imgur gallery with all the full size pics. If I'm not supposed to attach images like I did... sorry. Wasn't sure how to resize them.

p1pRqmr.jpgD9kp67v.jpg3IqFqU0.jpg8LbPonp.jpg8Jdcf0v.jpgwtSGczH.jpgL4r1KUp.jpgU1bfl3I.jpgTkNCByH.jpg

Woah! It's been a while. Nice work Yoshi. The wrap looks really good.
    My condolences for your loss and congratulations on your imminent coupling.

MTFBWY

Greenie

The cloth wrap does look fantastic. Sorry for your loss as well. It's hard to deal with sometimes, but congratuatlions. I went through a divorce last October, I'd rather be married. Good luck for the rest of they year!

Thanks, guys. Feels good to be back, even if only for a single thread. Truth be told, it drives me crazy that the wrap isn't perfectly even throughout. But it's worth it for the comfort and being able to swap out the blade holder and pommel however I want without losing any aesthetic.

Always good to see you back here Yoshi! Though I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my father 3 years ago, very unexpectedly; I know how terrible that whole process can be. My heart and prayers are with you. And also congratulations on the upcoming nuptials! I'm also getting married in October (fancy that!) - wedding planning during a pandemic, amiright.

Really liking the look of the katana-style all-wrapped hilt - I've played around with the idea myself a couple times. Was it difficult to get the switch box on?
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Starwinder View Post
    Always good to see you back here Yoshi! Though I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my father 3 years ago, very unexpectedly; I know how terrible that whole process can be. My heart and prayers are with you. And also congratulations on the upcoming nuptials! I'm also getting married in October (fancy that!) - wedding planning during a pandemic, amiright.

Really liking the look of the katana-style all-wrapped hilt - I've played around with the idea myself a couple times. Was it difficult to get the switch box on?
    Actually, the planning has been super easy. But we've been engaged for 3 years (as of this past Mat 4th) so we've had plenty of time to take care of stuff. But we're both on the same page about everything so there's hardly any friction to deal with. As long as the venue doesn't screw us over, everything will go off without a hitch. We'll see, I guess.

Getting the switch box on is the worst part. In short: exacto knife out the holes, cut out a square for the middle screw, and just screw the box on as tight as it can go. Extra long screws really help (I think it's a 3/4"?) keeping that boi in. Cutting the holes is pretty tricky since the wrap is kinda thick plus going through several layers at once. Not fun. But well worth it. Highly recommend. Did I mention it's cheap? $10 for a 10' roll, which is apparently enough to cover 9.7" of MHS saber.

That's good to hear man. Yeah, we had all our big-picture plans squared away pre-pandemic, but since my fiancee and I are both planning personalities, we've had back up plans A, B, C, and Z on the table. She also has some immuno-suppression issues, so we've have to play it extra safe. Hope everything with the venue works out for you!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

I like that color of cyan =] Looks more on the blue side though
    Light or dark. the path doesn't matter. What matters is how you act once you have chosen a path

DV6 Saber Hilt

Quote Originally Posted by ZrenTobas87 View Post
    I like that color of cyan =] Looks more on the blue side though
    I wasn't ignoring your reply, I promise! Thanks! It definitely leans more blue, and does so in-person too. I much prefer that. I have a Lux Cyan that leans more green that my wife will likely use.

Very nice Yoshi-Taka.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."